When I changed my workflow, all cards moved to the backlog. Why? How do I get the status back?

Lori Servies February 8, 2021

When I changed my workflow, all cards moved to the backlog. Why? How do I get the cards back to the correct status? 

3 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hello @Lori Servies 

Did the Status values of the issues "moved to the backlog" change? Or did the statuses remain unchanged, but now the cards display in the backlog?

What sort of change did you make to your workflow? Did you add statuses or remove statuses?

Did absolutely ALL cards move to the backlog, really?

According to the image you posted, cards with the status values Backlog or Rejected should be appearing in your backlog. All other cards should be showing on your board (except possibly the ones in released Versions).

Here's a screenshot of the history as well as the status.  It's almost like they have two statuses now.  In this example, it has a Backlog status and a Done status. 2021-02-08_19-48-14.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Did you actually remove the Done status from your workflow?

It has been a long time since I removed a status from a workflow. As i recall, the system should warn you if you remove a status that is in use on issues that use that workflow, and make you choose a new status for them.

I am honestly not sure what I did, but I am going to fix them all manually instead of hoping for a quick fix.  Thank you for your time!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Hi Lori,

There was probably a step in the migration process that defaulted all of the current statuses to the Backlog if there were cards in those statuses that were not in the new workflow. If you don't map those (change from the Backlog) it will move them. When I first became an Admin I was not paying close attention during that process and they all defaulted to Done. I closed several hundred tickets that day, if not thousands. :-(

The only thing to do is create a filter to see which ones were changed today by you, and them bulk transition them back to the right place. You have to do that separately with each status. 

So something like:

project = JIRA and status changed from "In Progress" to Backlog by lori.servies after startOfDay()

I tried that and it didn't work.  Any other suggestions? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

What do you get when you run the query? Did you replace the status name with your real status name?

The first screenshot shows the status changes made today.  The second is the quick filter I set up, which returns zero results. 2021-02-08_19-40-39.png2021-02-08_19-43-12.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Is "in progress" the full name of the former status? From your first image it looks like it was "in progress - AA" with more text after that.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Quick filters are not going to show you what you need. You need to run this as a regular filter in the advance search mode:

project = GATEWAY and status changed from "Open" to Backlog by lori.servies after startOfDay()

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

The reason they where moved to the backlog is that your new status(s) have not been linked to your columns on the board. You have to go into board settings and link the status to the right column, that should fix it.

I think I have all of the status set up correctly on the columns screen.

2021-02-08_17-03-10.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events