When I change issue type to Epic it, new epic name isn't listed anywhere to choose

sabat24 February 25, 2019

1. I created 2 new issues as improvement.

2. I changed type of first issue from improvement to epic.

3. When I try to assign a second task to the first one as epic, I get following epic name: unlabelled-SRD-4291

Where SRD-4291 is the ID of first task. Is there a way to convert existing issue to the epic with ability to properly shown it's name?

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2019

Is this by chance a Next-gen project? The reason I ask is that Epic Name doesn’t apply (currently) to NG projects.

sabat24 February 25, 2019

No, it is a classic project.

Basically I can correctly apply Epic Name to any issue in my project. If I set the issue type as Epic during creation of new issue everything works fine. The problem is when I change the type of already created issue from for example Bug, Improvement etc. to Epic. Then I'm not able to use it's name later. It looks like JIRA doesn't add new Epic name to some "list of epic names" when I change issue type to Epic. But it does when I create new issue as Epic from scratch.

I attached 2 screenshots. On the first you can see weird epic link. On the second you can see epic per se.

issue_assigned_to_epic.jpgepic_per_se.jpg

0 votes
Prakash Nair January 22, 2020

changing to old view and updating the epic name field should correct it. Worked for me

Prakash Nair January 22, 2020

just realized after going through jira link shared by Michael that the new view also has an option to update the Epic Name

0 votes
Michael Iles June 25, 2019

Here's the bug, please vote on it if it affects you: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70355

0 votes
Anshu May 2, 2019

@sabat24 Did you find a solution? I am stuck at the same point.

sabat24 November 23, 2019

Sorry I didn't notice your question. We have moved some part of our work from Jira to Jetbrains Youtrack, because of such situations where simple issue hasn't been still resolved. I'm not sure if anyone cares about it or even understand the problem. All solutions I received were not even related to question I asked.

The only workaround I found was to create new Epic issue and close the old one, instead of changing it's name.

Suggest an answer