What should I do if the story size too big that cannot be finished in a sprint

hans chen April 18, 2018

We are running 2 weeks sprint now. And we have a lot stories from PO. Some stories size is too big that we can not commit to complete it in a sprint.  I try to break down the sub task under story but each subtask can not put in sprint individually, I mean separate them into different sprint. What should I do to the big size story?

Another question is when we estimate the sub task, do we need to estimate the story which is the parent of them? I assume could see the summarize from all subtask on story estimate field.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

Turn the story into several stories, grouped with links or with an Epic

0 votes
elramr December 25, 2022

I encountered a similar problem, if you found solutions I would love to hear

0 votes
Rudi Louw April 19, 2018

There is lots of opinions on this, but from our experience, this is not a technical issue in JIRA, the fact is that your stories should be well written, vertically, to fit into a sprint. Your PO should find that the story can still be broken up into smaller deliverable stories... remember, the sprint review must consist of a deploy-able solution.

I understand it might not add value yet, but the sooner you get feedback from the end users on your progress, the sooner you will know if you are on the right track or not.

Suggest an answer