What's the use of Board inside Project?

Denny Winoto December 5, 2017

I've created a project and inside the project I created multiple boards. I created tickets for each board but whichever board I'm currently in, I'm seeing all tickets across the project (not the board). I thought each board should have its own tickets?

2 answers

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2017

Hello,

The board is just a representation of project issues. It is not a container in the sense that it does not conatain issues. You define JQL query for a board to select issues which will be shown on the board. Boards make it easier to work with issues since you can see the necessary issues in one screen and perform actions on them. You could create for example a board for each team and select on the board only items managed by the team. Then on entering Jira all team members would go to the board and could see easily the current state of all issues which they have to handle.

Denny Winoto December 5, 2017

I'm not familiar with JQL query, will you help me define the JQL query to find "You could create for example a board for each team and select on the board only items managed by the team."?

Thanks

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2017

Jql query would depend on how you select issues for your team. For example, let s say that you manage issues by components (the component is a standard field in Jira). You have unit 1 component and unit 2 component. There is team 1 which handles all issues with unit 1 component on and there is team 2 which handles issues with unit 2 component on. Then you would create two boards and for the first board you would define a jql like this

component = "unit 1" and for the second board you would define the jql query like this: component = "unit 2". Your two boards would have different set of issues for each team. Each team would open its own board and work on issues on the board. That is an example. All depends on how you handle issues between teams.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2017

[EDITED]

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2017

Can you go to the board's configuration and check the filter associated with it?

Suggest an answer