What is the state of Jira and its features?

Omar Khashoggi September 16, 2022

Hello,

I'd like to know the current status and options available for Jira.

When I search about a problem, I get forum threads that reference different types of products. There is Server and Cloud. Team-managed and company-managed. Next-gen and classic. And I guess there are different iterations of Projects, Issues, Boards, ...

So it's hard to know what is the state of each feature and what forum threads and documentation apply to my case or not.

It may be simpler than I'm describing, but this is how it seems while navigating Jira and the forum threads.

So can someone please describe the current state of Jira? Given that I'm using the free tier of the online Jira product.

Thank you :)

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hi @Omar Khashoggi and welcome to the community,

First of all forget about server. This product ends (ended.. will end).

You have Jira Cloud and Jira Data Center.

On jira cloud you have plans, 4 to be exact (free, standard, premium and enterprise). You can read more about them here.

• Jira Work Management is the base, the core, the foundation of Jira.
  • Jira Software is mostly used for software development (but not only)
  • Jira Service Desk is the service desk. Think ITSM

Each of the product above have the same core functionalities and different features (goodies). For each of these products you can create different project "categories" let's say, a.k.a. Company Managed Projects (CMP) and Team Managed Projects.

CMP projects are more flexible, versatile but have more maintenance and require someone (Jira Admin) to properly set them up.

TMP are short-of flexible, requires less maintenance and doesn not require any Jira Admin to set them up.

For all 3 products the are apps which you can buy or install for free (if they are free or for a trial period of 30 days) on your instance.

:)

0 votes
mian ms January 30, 2023

Jira is a server 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events