What is the smart value to mention user group?

Asif Salam November 9, 2020

Dear Experts,

I am trying to create an automation rule to notify my entire team (Jira project user group members) by commenting on particular types of issues.

Is there a smart value available to call User groups?

Nothing specified in this document about user groups than users

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Hello @Asif Salam , Please find the steps you need to follow in order to mention your team members.

• In the toolbar top in Jira.
  • Select PEOPLE.
  • In this page you can see Start A Team icon. Click that
  • You are set now! Who all team mates you invite and if they accept your invite will be activated. 
  • And in future if you want to mention/tag your team mates in a message you no need to mention them Individually. You can mention/tag the team name so every one in the team who accepted the invitation link will get the notification.

Also please find the links for the same - https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/start-a-team-976161200.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/teams-in-atlassian-products-976161199.html

Asif Salam November 10, 2020

Hello @Ganesh Babu ,
Hope you are doing well.

I already have a group created in JIRA. What am looking for is a way to call this user group as part of the Add comment action in Jira Project Automation rules.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 2.43.08 PM.png

In the doc's it's mentioned how to mention a specific user using Smart values in Jira automation.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 2.45.53 PM.png

I Am wondering is there any smart value like this to mention a user group.

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Hi @Asif Salam ,

I guess there is nothing as such smart values for groups to mention them in the comment section. 

If you are looking to notify a particular group then you can use Send Email rule.

Like Asif Salam likes this
Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2020

Hi @Asif Salam 

Ganesh's answer is correct, there is no functionality to mention groups in JIRA (without using plugins). There is the ability to mention teams, but this works as a macro for mentioning all the individual users in a team. To replicate this in Automation, you would need to mention each team member individually by account id.

Sending email, or a message via another system such as Slack would be the easiest way to get the functionality you are wanting

Cheers

Like # people like this
1 vote
Bhanu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2022

As a workaround, you can create a user alias in jira, and set the email for that user to be a list list with all the users needed and use that user to call the group.

Ian Walker July 13, 2023

@Bhanu - Can you please provide steps for how to do this?  Thanks.

Sam Huawey January 15, 2024

I guess you will need to pay $$$ for this user.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events