What is the logic for two JQL driven swimlanes with the same results?

angellmedici November 30, 2017

For example, I have two swimlanes driven by JQL:

1. Assignee = userA or Implementer = userA
  2. Assignee = userB or Implementer = userB

If userB is assigned a ticket where userA is the implementer, then which swimlane is the ticket supposed to be in?  And why?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

I believe it will be in the top most swimlane. I seem to recall a similar scenario in the past. The reason is that the boards work top down in those scenarios. 

simple to test and prove. 

angellmedici November 30, 2017

I guess I knew what happens, but I wanted to know why and the intent of that logic.

Is there a way to take control over which swimlane it would go into?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

I’m confused by the point of the question at this stage. Given an issue can appear only once on a board if the filters associated with swimlanes could result in more than one possible location then the application needs to resolve the conflict. It seems to be a natural choice to work top down given.

the only way to control it is thru your filters and the order of swimlanes. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2017

Why it happens is simple - if you put an issue on a board twice, it's misrepresenting the information.  If you have 5 issues, but 7 "cards" on a board, that's wrong, and confusing to your users.  You should only have one card for each issue.

The logic for it landing in the first swimlane is human too - the first swimlane is at the top of the screen, and hence the first a human reads.  The board renders a card on the first time it sees it and drops duplicates thereafter.

Suggest an answer