What is the difference between "Jira Core Boards" and "Agile Boards"?

Rodolfo Möller January 19, 2018

According to the information provided by Atlassian on the web page, Jira Core doesn't support "Agile Boards" but also offers "Boards" to its users.

If this is true, what are the differences between "Jira Core Boards" and "Agile Boards"?

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2018

core boards are good for basic project management workflows. not so great for SW projects where you need time tracking, scrum, burndown report, etc. For the later you would want agile boards.

Rodolfo Möller January 19, 2018

Well, this is a quite generic answer. My main interest was on the board itself and not on what you can do with the data afterwards.

If you look at the boards only, are they different? Do core boards have less features? For example no swim lanes possible, limited number of columns, no WIP limits, etc.?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2018

@Rodolfo Möller, I'm sorry my answer was not what you had hoped for but the initial question was generic as well. Please understand that I'm just a user like yourself not an Atlassian engineer or product manager. Fundamentally the decision, IMO, comes down to whether you want/need to develop software or not. If so then acquire Jira Software application and core comes with. 

In any event you may wish to read these two articles as they may ultimately allow you to compare the two.

Jira Core Boards

Jira Software Boards

I sincerely hope this helps but if not I expect others will chime in on the thread here. The Community is a great resource for Atlassian & Partner products discussions and Q&A. 

Like Allison Marie Carlson likes this
Oliver Lobisch January 20, 2018

@Jack Brickey, thank you for the links to both articles! They provide some initial (but still quite vague) hints about how both board types differ. It seems Atlassian doesn't care much about board features and hasn't provided a clear feature comparison between both board types yet.

And please excuse me if my first reply was kind of aggressive. It was really not my intention - I guess it has to do with the fact that I'm usually quite direct and at the same time I'm not a native speaker...

By the way, this is @Rodolfo Möller writing! I was using my colleague's computer and didn't realize he was logged in. Sorry about the confusion!

Suggest an answer