What is an effective method of defining components in Jira?

Jordan Edmunds March 25, 2019

I am just trying to get a better understanding of how granular components can be used.  

We already use Epics to group the larger feature-sets of the product together, and use releases to manage which version these epics will reside in.  We'd like to break down some of the larger items into their individual components, to help us manage the worktype a little easier, but wondered if anyone had a particular process or ruling they use to identify what constitutes a component?

I'd like to be able to set a general rule for components, such as "a component is an area of the product which can have its own permission set" or something similar.  Has anyone else come up with this sort of system before?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2019

Hi Jordan - Welcome to the Community!

We use the components in a varied of ways, depending on the team. The most common use is to use Epics for "Project" work - a grouping of issues that satisfy a particular project (work being accomplished over a specific period of time with a clear start and ending).

Then we use Components to represent on-going work for a team - for example, iOS work, browser work, funnel work, etc. This allows the team to filter and/or group that type of work. And still connect it to an Epic for like work being done over a specific time.

Hope that helps a little.

Jordan Edmunds March 27, 2019
Jordan Edmunds March 27, 2019

Thanks @John Funk that's helped me out

Suggest an answer