What happens if I edit the Epic and Story issue types to something else?

Heather Glahn February 14, 2019

I was about to update this, but as I was clearing out the Description, I noticed what it said: "A big user story that needs to be broken down. Created by JIRA Software - do not edit or delete."

I'd like to rename "Epic" to "User Story" and "Story" to "Development Task" for our cloud instance.

1) Why is this warning not fully viewable on the edit page?

2) What happens if I do it?

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 12.40.33 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2019

Epic is an agile key word and many components may rely on that naming.

could you use the existing Story and SubTask issue types for your purpose. Epics aren’t compulsory. 

Heather Glahn February 14, 2019

Given the way my team uses the UI, Epics are compulsory. We need the Version/Epic view and the clear delineation and declination of tasks under those epics, and we're implementing SAFe. Epics need to be "User Story" and Stories need to be "DevTasks". I spoke with support, they said that I can actually edit the issue type names and the functionality all the way down to JQL will work, but in the UI itself... it'll still refer to that Epics panel as Epics. C'est la vie. Maybe with Atlassian 9.0!

Suggest an answer