What does each of the symbols and icons mean?

sohail malik December 29, 2017

I keep looking but I cannot find a basic definitions of the various symbols & icons. Is that documented anywhere? Seems really idiotic to have all these icons but not a readily available definition. Is this info easily available or hidden?

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
uriel.alvarez January 19, 2022

2022-01-19 12_22_20-Issue navigator - JIRA.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2022

Um, yes, each issue type has its own icon.  Why are you posting the list here?

Like Mauro Garcia Esteban likes this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2017

Most are there to indicate a difference from another item, not indicate anything very specific.  Most of the others are intuitive (!) (?) (i) and arrows are pretty standard everywhere

Which ones are you struggling with in general?  Priority?  Issue type?  etc?

0 votes
Deleted user January 24, 2019

So, where is the explanation of icons, colours, etc provided???

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2019

See the discussion above.

Deleted user January 28, 2019

Sorry, I thought this is for SourceTree.  My question was about SourceTree icons, not JIRA icons.  Anyways, wrong forum I guess, not sure how I landed here

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2019

You are almost in the right place - this is a place for all Atlassian users, including Jira and Sourcetree of course.  You've just managed to find a conversation that was about Jira and not Sourcetree!

There are some conversations about Sourcetree icons around here, but I'm afraid that while an explanation of a lot of the Sourcetree icons would be useful (as they have fixed meaning, rather than being up to the user like they are in Jira), Atlassian still have not documented them!  It's quite annoying.

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user January 28, 2019

Could not agree more !

0 votes
Deleted user January 23, 2018

If I am reading this right...

As far as I know, you can't just "copy" an issue from one project to another.

You can Move an issue to another project - see here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/moving-an-issue-861257345.html

You can make a clone of the issue (call that a copy) and then move the clone to another project, but it's not as easy as you might think it would be - i.e. 'give me a list of issues to choose from and make copies for another project'.

Hope that helps, let me know if I'm close to what you're asking for.

sohail malik January 24, 2018

Thanks, Tom - that helps confirm what I was looking for. I plan to  (a) clone an issue or a task and move it to another project as as sub-task, so I can re-use repetitive issues or tasks.

The problem I have with Jira is that I wish to create hierarchies in such as Projects > sub-projects > issues > tasks > sub-tasks but I find Jira to be 'all over the place' and not very intuitive in this regard.

Thanks again - Sohail

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

The hierarchy in Jira is Category -> Project -> Issue -> Sub-task. Software and Portfolio can add higher levels over projects (Epics from Software, Themes and Initiatives in Portfolio).

There is also the Structure add-on if you want to build something that looks like more levels, but I urge caution - it tends to mean people find systems to be "all over the place" and not very intuitive.

0 votes

Thanks for responding, Nick. For example, what's the meaning and point fo the icons below? They are not intuitive or meaningful to me at all. Conversely, if you look at the drop-down of an issue type, you see things like 'story, 'task', 'bug' or 'epic', so at least that tells you what it is. But not so for others like the ones below. 

screenshot_01.png

Thanks   - Sohail

Icons aside, all I'm trying to do in Jira is the following:

Create a project, say Project X

Create a set of Tasks and Sub-tasks under Project X

Create a new project, say Project Y

Choose the Tasks and Sub-tasks from for the new project from an existing set of Tasks and Sub-tasks or from clones of existing Tasks and Sub-tasks

The above sounds very simple to me, but Jira seems to  limit me to (a) only creating new sub-tasks for each new project rather than allowing me to use existing sub-tasks or clones of existing sub-tasks. I also don't see how I can create a Task under a project- I can only create sub-tasks under a project. I'm having a hard time with this because it seems to be pretty basic functionality. Thanks in advance -

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2017

Makes sense.  The four icons you've got there fall into the "show a difference to other things".  They have no meaning in themselves, they're just different to each other.  I'm not 100% sure I know what context you are seeing them in, but I'd guess they are project avatars (a picture you choose to try to help users tell your project from others)

Your follow-on question is slightly confusing, so I am going to try to paraphrase it back to you to see if I have understood what you are saying:

I have a project with a pile of issues (some of which have sub-tasks).  I create a new project.  I want the new project to include some of the issues from the old project (including the sub-tasks), and then allow me to create new issues and sub-tasks which have nothing to do with the old project.

Is that an accurate description?

sohail malik January 2, 2018

Hi Nic: Your paraphrasing of my question is correct, with once exception:

While I understand this: "I create a new project.  I want the new project to include some of the issues from the old project (including the sub-tasks), and then allow me to create new issues and sub-tasks which have nothing to do with the old project."

I'm at a loss for this: I want the new project to include some of the issues and TASKS from the old project. However, I'm not seeing a concept of re-usable "Tasks" with or without "Sub-Tasks". Thanks again - Sohail Malik

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

Ok, I think this hinges on what you mean by "include".

What does an issue "included" in a project look like?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question