What could cause the add-ons menu to disappear in Jira after upgrading the UPM?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2020

I recently upgraded a Jira server to version 7.  That was fine.  I then went to upgrade the UPM and that's when it all hit the fan. 

I got a 404 that flashed up and then I could never see the Add-ons menu again. 

Anyone know what could have happened?  I  can't find anything in the documentation or the community that even begins to cover this scenario.

Jira is working well otherwise.

EDIT - tracked down a little more in the log:

2020-11-30 10:03:00,116 pool-20-thread-1 ERROR roberth 602x577x1 1l5glka 192.168.12.98 /rest/plugins/self-update/1.0/ [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPluginInstalledHelper] Cannot determine required plugins, cannot resolve bundle 'com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin'
2020-11-30 10:03:02,586 pool-20-thread-1 ERROR roberth 602x577x1 1l5glka x.x.x.x /rest/plugins/self-update/1.0/ [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Detected an error (BundleException) enabling the plugin 'com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin' : Unresolved constraint in bundle com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin [198]: Unable to resolve 198.0: missing requirement [198.0] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.atlassian.jira.config.properties)(version>=7.9.0)).  This error usually occurs when your plugin imports a package from another bundle with a specific version constraint and either the bundle providing that package doesn't meet those version constraints, or there is no bundle available that provides the specified package. For more details on how to fix this, see https://developer.atlassian.com/x/mQAN
2020-11-30 10:03:02,602 pool-20-thread-1 WARN roberth 602x577x1 1l5glka x.x.x.x /rest/plugins/self-update/1.0/ [c.a.plugin.impl.AbstractPlugin] Unable to enable plugin 'com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin'
2020-11-30 10:03:02,602 pool-20-thread-1 WARN roberth 602x577x1 1l5glka x.x.x.x /rest/plugins/self-update/1.0/ [c.a.plugin.impl.AbstractPlugin] Because of this exception
com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.container.OsgiContainerException: Cannot start plugin: com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2020

Hi Rob,

this is one of the rare cases where a clean restart of Jira does wonder.

In it does not help, clearing the plugin cache could help.

Regards,
Daniel

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2020

Hi Daniel,
Unfortunately neither worked :(

Thank you though!

David Vyslouzil June 13, 2022

@Rob Horan Hi, were you able to fix it? 
We are facing same issue.

Thanks, 
David 

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2022

@David Vyslouzil oof this was a not fun scenario.

So yes, I was able to get past this, but no I never actually fixed it.

Ultimately I wound up upgrading Jira to get past this.

I tried to find my solution documentation but could not since it was so long ago.  I think I needed to upgrade by backing Jira up to XML and restoring from the backup into an upgraded version.

David Vyslouzil June 13, 2022

Oh, alright. Thank you for your time and advice. 

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2022

You're welcome - what version is your Jira on-prem instance on now?  Can you upgrade it?

Suggest an answer