What are the purposes of the fields attached in the details while creating a story in JIRA?

Suraj B November 20, 2019

I was curious to know the purpose of some fields while creating issues. 

My assumption:

Summary field: This is where we write the user story in As a user..., want to..., so that..." format.

Description field: This is where we write the description for those user stories. This can include the workflow (positive, negative and alternate), overview of the story/module, validations, error messages etc.

If we have a plugin that provides separate fields for Acceptance criteria, then we can use it else the description field can also contain acceptance criteria. 

Is the above assumption correct? Also, what amount of detail is ideal to be included in the detail field? What is the optimal number of acceptance criteria foe a single user story?

JIRA issues.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2019

Hello @Suraj B

Thank you for reaching out.

The number of fields added to the issue detail view and how you'll use them to achieve your needs is completely subjective, and that's why you are free to remove or add fields to your issue view.

That being said, let me bring up more context and some examples on how other customers configured their detail view so we can better know we are on the same page:

1- There are some users that prefer to use separate fields to define acceptance criteria where you have more options to filter and search for fields with a specific value. For example: Supposing you would like to return a list in JQL with all the Stories where the "design" implementation was already implemented, it would be much easier to define a checkbox field with the "design" option instead of using the description field.

2 - However, there are other users that prefer to use the description field since they have simple scenarios where they will not need to filter specific achievements for the acceptance criteria.

In fact, you can choose to use the description field only as a source to display "Additional details" in the Detail view or define your Acceptance Criteria.

If you still have any questions about how you want to configure your views, I suggest you take a look at the documentation below:

8 steps to a definition of done in Jira 

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the information provided.

Suggest an answer