What are the differences between Kanban & Scrum & Basic Project types in JIRA?

Baybars Kumbasar March 22, 2019

I'm not asking about the meaning of Kanban or Scrum, but what the difference between such projects in JIRA. They look very similar to each other except some default screens and fields. Am I missing something? 

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

The only difference is what workflow is being used for the project and if it should setup a default scrum board or kanban board. If you select the basic project it will not setup a board for you, so you can decide later if it should be kanban, scrum or a combination of the two.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

More or less, they are templates or starting places to get you going on a project's configuration. Each give you a default set of issue types and a workflow geared more towards that template, and Scrum and Kanban projects give you an initial board to work with right away.

0 votes
Michael Simmons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2021

Hi Baybars,

I'd like to add to the excellent two answers above. Because (mostly) everything else is customizable, the difference is what you start out with. 

Even if you have a Kanban project, you can still add a Scrum board to it and you will then get sprints added to your project, too. 

Michael

Suggest an answer