What are the arrows in labels?

Dave W. May 9, 2019

In JIRA I noticed small up/down arrow to the right of each label, but clicking them doesn't appear to do anything except maybe slightly align the label text top/bottom -- and page refresh resets the arrows.  What is their function, and what version did they start appearing?

Label arrow chrome.jpgLabel arrow IE.jpg

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

I also noticed this and I don't think those arrows have any purpose.

In my understanding it is probably a cosmetic kind of bug. The label text may be overly high and then the browser decides to put arrows to its container (the label box) so that you can scroll. :-)

Dave W. May 10, 2019

Good catch!  I hacked on the HTML (at which I am also a n00b), and found that when I turned off the overflow property the arrows went away.

Fix pointless arrows.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

awesome sleuthing! that now makes sense.

Dave W. May 10, 2019

Thanks, I'm in software QA :)

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2019

@Dave W. Do you know if you are using an app for the labels? I just checked my environment, we are running Jira 8.0.2, and do not see those arrows. And if my memory serves me right they were not there in 7.13.x either...

Dave W. May 9, 2019

I'm beginning to wonder that as well, will try to find out.  Doesn't explain why Jack doesn't see but co-worker does, although he is on cloud.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2019

Maybe it is a plugin for Chrome/IE11 that is doing it? Come to think of it, I may have come across this before, but cannot remember the context. I will do some digging...

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2019

@Dave W. , not sure what you are referring to here. could you provide a screenshot depicting these arrows?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2019

well LOL here....

I think I have just witnessed what you are talking about. I'm in a meeting at the moment and the guy displaying his screen Dashboard has the up-down arrows on the label. Interestingly however, I do not see this on my view. Scratching my head but will dig in and figure it out. Just looking at it I would assume it would be to scroll thru if there were multiple labels but I need to see it firsthand to figure it out. :-)

Dave W. May 9, 2019

Apologies, I meant to add screen capture and forgot... here are partial screen shots from Chrome and IE11.

Label arrow chrome.jpgLabel arrow IE.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2019

ok so that is interesting indeed. is this server or cloud?

Dave W. May 9, 2019

I'm such a n00b :) Jira server v7.10.2

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2019

well here is what i have determined. I am on cloud and do not see but my coworker does. Which is quite peculiar. It is equally odd that it is showing on an older server version for you. With that said all it appears to do is to handle a situation where the text seems to be taller than the field size. sort of useless IMO but maybe i'm missing something here.

Dave W. May 9, 2019

Then we're both missing something, because that's the behavior I saw too, agreed it's pretty useless.  I googled the behavior and couldn't find anything.  Maybe someone else will chime in... Thanks Jack!

Suggest an answer