What are all the various factors that influence whether a field is visible on a screen?

Abdul Kader Broachwala December 27, 2019

What are all the various factors that influence whether a field is visible on a screen?

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2019

Hello @Abdul Kader Broachwala  in order to ensure that a field is visible on a screen it needs to meet the following criteria

Must be on the screen associated to the screen scheme that is assigned to the issue type you want it to be seen at the issue type screen scheme (long phrase but trying to make it as clear as possible). That issue type screen scheme needs to be assigned to the project as you might know already.

Field must not be hidden in the assosiated field configuration

Field must have a valid context for the project at the custom field configuration.

These would be the main things, but some other items that might affect the field visibility are 

User must have permissions to use that type of fields. For example schedule issues is needed to see date type fields.

Users must have the right licenses as well. Sprint custom field won't be seen if the user doesn't hold a Jira software license.

Also, at the view screen, the field must have a value assigned in order to be shown, this applies to all custom fields but not necessarily to system fields.

There are other ways to hide fields via add-ons or JavaScript but that would be out of the ordinary

Abdul Kader Broachwala December 27, 2019

Thank you, Hernan, the above explanation is really helpful to understand whether to make a field visible on a screen.  

Tereza Červinková June 26, 2021

Hello everyone,

I know this chat is resolved, but in case someone else was seeking on "why the field is not showing to some users", you may also check the Project roles of the person. In my case, the Viewers project role wasn't able to see custom fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2021

Er, that's not a Jira function - it does not hide fields based on people. 

I suspect you have an app (like the Quisapps field security or Scriptrunner Behaviours) doing that.

Tereza Červinková June 26, 2021

Nope, Nic, we have Cloud and no apps like that. I myself wonder how that was possible.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2021

So do I - there's no "hide field by person" in plain Jira, which is why I suggested apps.  I'd want to experiment a bit more to see what you're seeing.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

Suggest an answer