Webhook Event for Sub-Task Order Changes?

Bruce MacNeil November 30, 2021

Hello, does anyone happen to know if a webhook event is generated when the order of sub-tasks is changed (via drag and drop on issue view) under their parent issue? We are expecting the jira:issue_updated event, but it is not occurring.

The parent issue has Sub-Task A and Sub-Task B.  Under the Sub-Tasks section of the parent issue, Sub-Task A is at order position 1 and Sub-Task B is at order position 2.  When I do a generic edit of the parent issue (I updated the description), an issue updated event is triggered, and the sub-task ordering shows correctly in the parent issue as:

"subtasks":
0:
"id": "339562"
"key": <Sub-Task A>
1:
"id": "339563"
"key": <Sub-Task B>

When I drag and drop Sub-Task B to be higher, at order position 1, the issue_updated event is not triggered.  Again when I do a edit of the parent issue description, the parent issue correctly reflects the sub-task ordering, the change:

subtasks":
0:
"id": "339563"
"key": <Sub-Task B>
1:
"id": "339562"
"key": <Sub-Task A>

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated on any webhook events that could be used...to represent the drag and drop sub-task ordering change.  Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

No, I'm afraid nothing happens beyond a change in the database when you re-order subtasks.

I think the data is in the property tables, but I'm not too sure if it has been moved since I last looked at a database.

MaxShchutskyi December 1, 2021

Hello Nic
Thank you for your answer!

Maybe you know, is there any way to add this to any event? Or maybe something like creating a custom event that will be triggered after reordering?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

I think you might have to mess with the code in Jira's core (not just a server app you can plug in), to inject something that triggers when the sub-tasks are moved.

Suggest an answer