WBS Gantt-Chart - export to MS Project

Anne-Marie Larsen June 25, 2021

When you export the WBS Gantt-Chart to MS Project, what fields in the project schedule contain the Jira ticket number (or Key as referenced in the Gantt chart) and the Jira status?

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

0 votes
Hikaru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2021

Hello @Anne-Marie Larsen , 

What fields in the MS Project schedule store the Jira ticket number and the status?

Unfortunately, MS Project doesn’t have such fields that can be converted into Jira ticket number and status, therefore Jira ticket number will be assigned automatically and status will be “To Do” when you import tasks from MS Project.

For more information about which MS Project fields are converted, please read the following document.

https://ricksoft-support.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/WGCCLOUD/pages/434372624/Importing+from+Microsoft+Project

Best,
Hal

Anne-Marie Larsen June 28, 2021

Actually I was referring to the process when you export Jira tasks to create a project schedule.  My team is already using Jira and I would like to create a schedule to capture tasks to view and maintain status going forward.

It would be very helpful if the export could put the Jira ticket number and status in one of the existing MS project fields.  Otherwise I would have to do this manually which is definitely a drawback to using the tool if there are many tasks.  

Not sure I can really sell this product to our Consulting team to manage various client tasks if there's a lot of manual work.

Thank you.

Hikaru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2021

Hello @Anne-Marie Larsen ,

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Sadly, it is not possible to export Jira ticket number and status directly. You could try the following workaround instead.

1. On WBS Gantt-Chart, perform both Excel export and MS Project export. (Do not change the column order when exporting both files)
  2. Open the exported XML file in MS Project.
  3. Add Issue Key and Status custom columns to the MS Project (Note that the Status column exists in the MSP standard, so it is better to use a different name such as "Jira Status")
  4. Open the exported Excel file in Excel.
  5. Copy and paste the Jira ticket number and status from Excel to MS Project.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Suggest an answer