WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended

Hyd3k April 25, 2018

Hi community, I suddenly received warnings when trying to start a Jira instance (CentOS 7x64, Jira 7.8.1). Instance was working fine but now does not, I remember I updated mysql server 2 days ago but until today I restarted server/Jira instance and noticed this error that will not allow me to start Jira.

Can you please help?

Wed Apr 25 16:40:50 CDT 2018 WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended. According to MySQL 5.5.45+, 5.6.26+ and 5.7.6+ requirements SSL connection must be established by default if explicit option isn't set. For compliance with existing applications not using SSL the verifyServerCertificate property is set to 'false'. You need either to explicitly disable SSL by setting useSSL=false, or set useSSL=true and provide truststore for server certificate verification.

- - -

I tried following similar topic but still unable to run Jira:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/SSL-Warning-filling-catalina-out-when-connecting-to-MySQL/qaq-p/117867.

I added:

&useSSL=false

&useSSL=false

?useSSL=false

to /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml

2 answers

0 votes
Hameed Saudagar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2022

We have seen in the past that this has worked for some customers. It is just the syntax that needs to be followed. In their cases, they have added the useSSL=false as a suffix to the Jira URL.

You can refer to the community document this might help you. If this doesn't then reach out to support.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/WARN-Establishing-SSL-connection-without-server-s-identity/qaq-p/1015860

0 votes
Hyd3k April 25, 2018

MySQl details:

Original version:

mysql-community-server-5.7.21-1.el7.x86_64

Updated version:

5.7.22-1.el7.x86_64

from @mysql57-community repository.

Aleksandr March 22, 2022

Hello team! We have the same issue. In the catalina.out logs have 
{code:java}
Tue Mar 22 10:50:26 UTC 2022 WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended. According to MySQL 5.5.45+, 5.6.26+ and 5.7.6+ requirements SSL connection must be established by default if explicit option isn't set. For compliance with existing applications not using SSL the verifyServerCertificate property is set to 'false'. You need either to explicitly disable SSL by setting useSSL=false, or set useSSL=true and provide truststore for server certificate verification.
{code}
nevertheless in dbconfig.xml I have the next configuration:
{code:java}
<url>jdbc:mysql://10.180.4.208/jiradb?useUnicode=true&amp;useSSL=false&amp;characterEncoding=UTF8&amp;sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB</url>
{code}

Suggest an answer