View Epic Details in Greenhopper

Rick Carini January 22, 2013

Is there any way that I can view the details of an Epic from within Greenhopper?

Our PMs place details about the Epic in the Description field using either JIRA or GH Create Epic (after expanding the view of the Configured Fields). Would be helpful if I could see the Epic details just like I can see the Story's Detail View.

Plus would like to see what is linked via JIRA to the Epics to show up as well.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rick Carini February 13, 2013

New Feature request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6963

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

Slightly unrelated but will be useful for you for this part "Plus would like to see what is linked via JIRA to the Epics to show up as well." - Epic Reports - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Viewing+the+Epic+Report

And regarding the original one, this could be raised as a new feature request at https://jira.atlassian.com.

0 votes
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2013

In an agile board, as you can see from the screenshots, epic details are shown on the left hand side corner. By clicking on an epic, the backlog in the middle is automatically populated with issues that are related to the epic. Clicking on the "View in JIRA" will bring you to the issue view screen for the epic.

If you are using the classic board, you gotta set up a Epic/Theme field that will help you to label your epics. You can then view it in the Classic Planning Board, in LIST view, Click on the epic/theme label and you will get a summary of all issues related to that epic/theme. (See screenshot below)

Rick Carini January 31, 2013

Thanks, Daniel.

The view of the Epic backlog is helpful, but I was hoping to see the Detail View of an Epic, like you can see with a Story or any other issue type in GH. Our team members use the Epics' Description field in JIRA for short details and quick instructions, plus links to Confluence for more details.

So, for example:

Here is a view in GH of Epic with the name, Big Epic Effort:

But you can only see the Detail View of Story, PWC-3, which is selected.

I would like to see the Detail View of "Big Epic Effort" (as seen in JIRA, by using the "View in JIRA" as you mentioned - thanks):

Would love to have a way to see the Detail View of issuetype Epic....

Oh, and we are trying to stay away from the Classic view, so I haven't investigated if I can add the Description field to the Classic view, but don't believe that view lends itself to text details like you see in the Description field.

Thanks!

Rick

Suggest an answer