Velocity Chart Inconsistent

Abhijit Petkar May 7, 2014

The velocity chart is not consistent with the velocity for the Sprint in the dashboard.

For our project, velocity in the dashboard showed 150 story points. We ensured that all bugs/tasks are 'Closed' and all stories (and subtasks) are marked 'Done'

However, after closing the sprint, the Velocity chart showed only 141 as Completed velocity.

Why is this?

3 answers

0 votes
Jenny Crowley June 26, 2014

What is the best way to handle this to ensure the most accurate velocity? Our team is always adding additional issues and sometimes adjusting story points after a sprint has started.

0 votes
Abhijit Petkar May 18, 2014

Thanks Benito.

I suppose what it means is that if we change the story points for a story after the sprint has started, it would not be reflected in the Velocity.

I am not sure, but this might be the case since after further analysis, we sometimes do update the story points.

Thanks for your answer.

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2014

Hello Abhijit,

O checked the documentation for the Velocity Chart and the only part I found about possible differences in values is the following:

Please note that the values for each issue are recorded at the time the sprint is started. Changing the Estimate value afterwards will not be reflected in the Velocity Chart.

Would you happen to know if this is the case for you?

Benito Picarelli

Jenny Crowley July 9, 2014

What is the best way to handle this to ensure the most accurate velocity? Our team is always adding additional issues and sometimes adjusting story points after a sprint has started.

Suggest an answer