Using JIRA Service Desk, I want to auto-assign tickets of a certain request type to rotating on-call

Mikeb February 2, 2021

I have Service Desk and JIRA Cloud setup. 

Within Service Desk, I have a large number of request types (this is linked to Zendesk and other systems for various customer support folks.)

I want to use JIRA Automation to automatically assign all tickets that come into the queues with a specific request type to the same assignee that's found on a ticket in another JIRA project. 

* TICKET-123 has an assignee of Mark

* SERVICEDESK-1 request was made

* Automation should run and copy the assignee from TICKET-123 to SERVICEDESK-1

I've tried to use the following and it is not working. I am sure there is some update to the JQL that I could make... or maybe it's just not possible to reference an issue in JIRA from Service Desk?

When: Issue Created

And: Request Type = ABC

Then: Assign the issue to:

• Copy from another issue
  • JQL Search
  • JQL == (issuekey=TICKET-123)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikeb February 4, 2021

To solve this, we moved the ticket into our service desk project rather than in a separate one. So, not a perfect solution, but it's working as intended now. 

0 votes
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Is the assignee on the other issue changing regularly?  What happens when that issue is closed?

Mikeb February 3, 2021

The assignee of the other issue does change every two weeks, yes.

The root of the problem we're trying to solve is that the Service Desk tickets need to be auto-assigned to an on-call Engineer. However, the round-robin, etc options in JIRA are not what we want as this is a "static" value (user) that changes every few weeks on a constantly updated schedule determined at bi-weekly sprint planning sessions.  

So, we've set up a ticket in a project (TICKET-123) that will not get closed. We update the assignee of TICKET-123 each sprint planning session. The desire is that we have Service Desk tickets with a specific Request Type assigned to the assignee of TICKET-123 automatically. 

0 votes
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2021

Hi @Mikeb ,

Question, how is the link established between the Service Desk issue and the Ticket issue?

For a client of mine I have a request type with an issue picker field on it. And with a Behavior (scriptrunner) I take over various fields (fields also included by request type (not mutable)) from the issue chosen in the issue-picker field.

Greetings, Marco

Mikeb February 3, 2021

I am not sure I get your meaning? 

But firstly, our organization does not have Scriptrunner. 

As far as linking the JIRA ticket and the Service Desk (SD) ticket, the only connection is the JQL within Automation. My understanding is that despite Service Desk being a separate "app", it's still within Atlassian's ecosystem, thus JQL can and will return any data within SD, JIRA, or Confluence. 

I need this to be as simple as possible and without any paid add-ons like Scriptrunner.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events