Users unable to query other watchers

Luc August 13, 2020

Using JIRA 7.13.13

We have some users watching issues and they are running the following JQL:

watcher in (user1,user2,user3)

If user1 runs the query, he gets no results (since not watching any), user2 gets 7 (since watching 7) and user3 gets 26 (since watching 26).  When I run it as an administrator, I get 27.  Any idea what setting prevents users from querying other watchers?

I found the following in the JIRA documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0713/editing-and-collaborating-on-issues-965543057.html).  It says:

What permissions do you need?

To view other users watching or voting for an issue, you need the View Voters and Watchers and Manage Watcher List project permissions.

But even when granting these permissions, it doesn't change the results.

Thanks for your help and time!

Luc

1 answer

0 votes
Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

You should ensure first that all those users can view all 27 issues. Go to each one, as each user and check if they can view each of the 27 (you can use permissions helper if needed).

If they have the above permissions and can see the issues, the filter should return 27 despite the user.  They may not have view permission or issue level security may be set for some of the projects being returned.

Luc August 14, 2020

All 3 users have the ability to view all the 27 issues.

Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2020

Can you try watcher = user1 OR watcher = user2 OR watcher = user3 ?

Since you have verified the users have access to all 27 issues, can you also ensure the users have the two permissions states above for all projects that those 27 issues are a part of?

Luc August 14, 2020

All 3 users have the above permissions since the permissions were granted to the group and they are all part of the same group.  Doing the query with "or" instead of "in" yields the same result.  I had already tried that just in case but it didn't make any difference.

Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2020

@Luc I am not able to reproduce this on my end. In all cases where the users have these permissions and access to the tickets this query should work. The next steps may be to submit an Atlassian Support ticket.

Suggest an answer