Users not receiving notification emails

mathieu.girolet September 19, 2022

Some of our users are not receiving notification emails. 

Some details: 

• Does this happen only to a project?
    • We only have 1 project
  • Are the users receiving any email from other projects?
    • NA
  • The users do not receive any email notification what so ever?
    • Correct, no email at all
  • Do other users receive notifications for the actions these specific users fail to receive
    • Yes, everyone else

It looks like the fix (clearing the suppression list) provided in this ticket worked for some users: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Some-users-not-receiving-email-notification/qaq-p/1772563

Could you please check our account and clear the user suppression list for our account? 

Cheers, 

Mathieu 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

Hello @mathieu.girolet 

Welcome to the community.

This is a community of Jira users. You should open a support case directly with Atlassian Support to address your issue.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

mathieu.girolet September 20, 2022

Thanks for your help Trudy, support ticket raised and solved :) 

0 votes
Kerli Loopman
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2022

Just sharing my experience with similar issues I had with newly created users who didn't recieve any notifications.

In our case it was because we had user synced to Atlassian and added to projects, issues but we didn't have the mailbox ready at that moment. So Atlassian was trying to send email to account that didn't have mailbox created yet - the email was rejected. If the email sent from Atlassian to user gets rejected several times, then Atlassian stops trying to send those emails - the email will be added to special list and can be removed only with help of Atlassian Support.

Luckily we have premium account in Jira so this issue was resolved with Support Ticket.   

0 votes
James A October 26, 2022

I'm having the same issues and cannot open a ticket. They instead redirect me to this community for a solution. I need help resolving this blocker.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

Hello @James A 

Are you using a Free subscription of Jira or a paid subscription? If you are using a Free subscription you won't be able to open a support case.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

@James A 

Also please confirm,

1. The affected users receive ZERO emails from Jira.

2. Other users of the Jira environment do receive emails.

3. You have confirmed with the Notifications Helper that the users not receiving emails should be receiving emails.

4. You have confirmed that the emails for those users are not being moved to their Spam/Junk mail folder.

James A October 26, 2022

Yes, this is a free subscription. You can't open a ticket. Instead they send you here and when you get here, those who've reported a solution had to open a ticket. So, basically there's no solution for a free account. So, what's the point of offering a free account for something that doesn't work?

And yes, zero email invitation is received and they've checked their Spam/Junk folder. I'm not sure what you mean by the "notification helper". I did a test invitation to one of my emails and the same issue. At this point, moving to visualstudio.com, where there's no such issue.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

Refer to this for information on the Admin Helper functions including the Notification Helper.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-jira-admin-helper/

I can reach out to Atlassian Support to see if they can help resolve the issue. If email addresses have been black listed, they should be able to fix that.

James A October 26, 2022

Thanks but the notification helper isn't helpful. I enter a username, I don't have an issue key but it lists Epics in there, which isn't what I'm having issues with, the Issue event are related to features or something, and the Submit button remains disabled.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

If you care to discuss the Notification Helper more, can you provide a screen image of what you are seeing?

Are you working with Business, Software, or Service projects? That will be shown at the top of the navigation pane on the left, below the project name. Company Managed or Team Managed? That will be shown at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

The Notification Helper is used to determine if a Jira is configured to send a notification to a specific user for a specific event for a specific issue. For instance if a user is not getting a notification when they are assigned to a specific issue.

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 9.21.47 AM.png

While you have to enter specific information, you can extrapolate from the results to help diagnose general notification configuration issues. 

For the Issue field, the list will show you some of the issues in the system. You can directly type in the issue key of another issue.

This doesn't help diagnose issues with Invitation notifications, or notifications that should be sent because a user is @ mentioned in an issue.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

@James A 

I just noticed that you specifically said invitations are not being received. I didn't notice that before, and so recommended the wrong path (Notification Helper).

I have found another post with an answer from and Atlassian Team Member that recommends that you report issues with email delivery for Free products by opening a new thread with this link

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/jira-questions

The post will get a tag added to it that will help Atlassian Team Members see it and they will be able to properly investigate the issue. 

Be sure to specify that it is the invitation emails that are not being received, and it would be helpful to specify the destination mail host (i.e. Gmail, Outlook, etc.)

*Atlassian has updated this answer to update the create post link.

James A October 27, 2022

Hello Trudy,

I appreciate the help. I have posted a question but it seems it's still just a public forum like this one. Anyway, let's see how it goes.

Thanks,

J

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events