Users can not change password in Jira

Holger_Steinhauer November 25, 2017

I am currently trying to find a way to let users change their password in Jira Software.

The currently installed version is 7.6.0, and I do use Jira's internal user directory. Searching for this issue brings up that the "Change Password" link on the user profile is not visible for external user directories only. 

Any hints and suggestions are highly welcome. Thanks so much in advance.

3 answers

2 votes
Axel Joester May 20, 2019

After struggling with this for a few hours and seeing this unfinished discussion:

This problem is a symptom of having configured "external user management" to "On".

You should set this to "Off" under Administration / General configuration /Options External user management.

Thereafter, internal users will find the option to change their password in their profile, as expected.

Caveat: You will still be able to configure and use external directories, but on the logon-screen there will appear a link "Can't access your account?", which might confuse users coming from these.

Azfar Masut
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2022

THANK YOU! 

0 votes
Mahmut Bilgen December 31, 2020

I run into similar issue  while I was migrating from jira cloud to on-prem server. I have got backup and restore on local server and I can access jira through sysadmin user but I can not change password. 

System/  General configuration / External user management is OFF but either I cannot change any user password or group permission. When I try to change group permission it is complaining about "External user management enabled"  which is not.

Hi Mahmut!

To solve this problem:
1. Log in to recovery mode
2. Go to the "User Management" section and then to the "User directories" section.
3. Disable and then re-enable the Jira internal directory.
4. Open page Jira Internal Catalog Edit and click the "Save and Test" button there.
5. After the performed actions, everything should work for you.

In this article, you will learn how to log into the system in recovery mode:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-972329273.html

Welcome! 😉

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2017

Don´t think this is supported.

I´d rather set up an AD FS server for this purpose. AD FS will also let users change password AFTER it has expired.

-Lars

Holger_Steinhauer November 26, 2017

Hi Lars.

Thanks for your reply. But it must be possible. There is documentation for it and it worked before. (But no idea when it stopped working. Haven't tried for a while)

The reason why I am not running it against my LDAP is that I had problems setting it up with the starters license (my user directory has more than 10 users in it). To be fair, this is ages ago. But changing the user directory provider now would bring more issues than it solves.

Any other ideas?

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2017

For users in Internal user directory password change should (of course) be possible.

I tested with latest jira with an Active Directory user directory in read write mode. 

Suggest an answer