User picker is not showing all members of a group

Martin Heini February 8, 2019

By fetching users by groups in the user administration I get the correct list of users.

However, when I select the same groups in the UserPickerBrowser, I get a much smaller number of users.

It does not matter if the group is from LDAP or defined in Jira. The number of users per group is very small (for example 20), browse permission is on jira-users, I even work as an administrator. It seems that only the first few users are displayed, even if the number of users per page in the UserPickerBrowser is 100. When I select a non-displayed user and one of his groups, he appears. The same thing happens when I search for the same groups in the UserPickerBrowser in another project (with other permissions).

What did I overlook?

Thanks, Martin

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Heini April 4, 2019

Hi all there,

Atlassian Support points https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-63624, a known bug in 7.0 also in 8.0.

Please watch there.

Martin

0 votes
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2019

We are having a similar problem. 

We have configured a delegated LDAP. Users are able to login and perform all activities without any problems. But the userpicker's aren't showing names from this delegated LDAP.

Also, when I go to Project Settings --> Users and Roles, click on 'Add Users to Roles', it doesn't show any names in it. 

If LDAP is working fine, users are able to login too, then why aren't this pickers not showing names in it??

Duje April 15, 2019

Same issue, finds only logged in users.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2019

Have all of these users logged into this Jira site at least once?

I ask because there is bug/feature where user picker fields like Assignee or reporter can be limited in the users that can be selected there to only be user accounts that have actually logged into Jira at least once.   I think this is hear to help prevent someone from assigning an issue to a user that isn't even aware of that Jira site yet, or to someone that can't possibly login to the site for one reason or another.

As such, it makes sense to me that there might be a logical extension of this feature to user picker fields.

You should be able to go back to the System settings -> User Management and lookup the user account if your a system admin in order to see if the account has a 'last login time' value or if it reads "Never logged in".  The accounts will be listed there regardless, but if you have lots of accounts that have never logged in, that would potentially explain why user picker fields do not contain a complete list of all users you would otherwise expect.

Martin Heini February 12, 2019

Hi Andrew, thanks for the tip and the explanations for a better understanding! While one user group really comprised users without login, there were other groups with all users with at least one login. All these users are 'natural'; those without login I gave a password and logged in myself. So the problem still exists.

I once again checked the permissions of the users that are displayed or not displayed in the UserPickerBrowser. All users in the group have read and edit rights. There is no Issue Security and no user filtering on the CustomField.
I tested different CustomFields in different projects with flat rights. The same everywhere.
If I search for group and username, then the user is displayed.

There must be something in Jira 7.9.2 that was not before (6.4.) and I have not discovered yet.

Martin

Hi Andrew!

We have the same problem since we upgrade to 7.13.1  We can't see users that doesn't logged in since the upgrade. But if that users log in JIRA, we can already see them.

Have you find a solution to resolve this issue? 

Thanks!

Suggest an answer