User in read only mode?

Karin Becker August 13, 2013

Hi,

I want a user who is only a viewer, and can not change or do anything. We have one main project, the others do not mater, so I don't care if the user may see all or just one projects, I just want to make sure he can't change or edit anything.

Wjat I tried: set up a new user, added him to a new group which only has "Browse project" within permission scheme, and also set up a project role which I assigned to both new group and new user. As result, this user cannot login at all.
(To be precise: After giving my credentials, I'm on a Greenhopper Dashboard, there are no projects or other wirking links and in the right upper corner, there is still the Link "Log In", while nothing happens when I click on.)

I tried to add the user to the default "User" group in global group administation, then he may log in, but has all rights to edit etc.

I varried a lot with role and group and permission settings, with permissions for workflow transitions (which I do not dare to think that I would have to edit every single transition to vreate a global vie only user!), and of course I read recent postings like https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/12688/create-read-only-user-for-a-project and tried to fullfill, but in the end it all comes back to either not be able to log in or the ability to do anything.

Help, please! :-)

Thanks and best,

Karin

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gregory Demotchkine August 13, 2013

You need to be a user to login, but a user can edit things by definition.

What you can hope to accomplish is to restrict what can your "users" do as much as possible:

- Use the permissions to restrict what's possible - in Project Administration\Permissions restrict who can "Create issue" and "Edit Issue" and other

- Use conditions in workflow transitions so they do not see any buttons

- You can also disable some more rights in User Management\Global Permissions

Karin Becker August 14, 2013

Ok. That's a bunch of work, especially for all the transitions, but seems to be the only solution. I created a new group called Editors, which has now all the permissions the group User had before. Seems to work.

Thanks & best,

Karin

0 votes
Marina Garrison February 20, 2014

Seriously??!! Why is there no read only mode for a user?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014

There's no read-only mode per user but there are plenty of ways to make a user only able to read issues. Different approach

Suggest an answer