User cant manage sprint although having permissions

Sofia Quintero January 12, 2021

Hello

There´s a project that have some boards. One of them, jql query include other project. 
This user has manage sprint permission (current project, and involved project) also is a Project Admin in current projec, but he is not enable to complete sprints any.

The curious thing, is the user is having this problem only on this project. Hi can complete sprints in others projects.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

Hello @Sofia Quintero 

Can you paste a copy of the Filter used in the board?

Can you run a search for all issues that have Sprint values that match the sprints in the board? It is possible that an issue in a project where the user does not have the Manage Sprints permissions has gotten assigned to a sprint in this board. You would not see that rogue issue on the board if it doesn't fall within the constraints of the board filter, but JIRA does not prevent a user from adding an issue outside of the board to the sprint. That could be done be editing the issue and changing its Sprint field.

Sofia Quintero January 14, 2021

Hello @Trudy Claspill  the problem is for all the bords in the project, there are some of them that query only include current project issues and others that involved others projects. 

I mean, he can´t manage sprint for a board that include only project issues. He has permission.

Sofia Quintero January 14, 2021

Here´s the query from boards

Board project = ERPSP AND status not in (cerrado, Closed) OR project = "Tribu Core" AND component in ("Finance & Operations") ORDER BY Rank ASC

project = ERPSP AND issuetype = Épica AND status not in (cerrado, Closed) OR project = "Tribu Core" AND component in ("ERP Finance & operations") ORDER BY Rank ASC

project = ERPSP AND labels = collector-b8904a84

Thanks for answer @Trudy Claspill 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

Hello @Sofia Quintero 

Try executing an advanced search for any issues that have been assigned to sprints in the boards where the issue is not in one of the specified projects; i.e.

Sprint in (<sprint1>,<sprint2>,<sprint3>) and projects not in ("Tribu Core",ERPSP)

That should reveal if there are any issues from other projects that have been erroneously assigned to sprints in these boards. 

If there are such issues, remove them from your boards' sprints and then see if the user can manage sprints.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

Hello @Sofia Quintero 

I see you marked my answer as Accepted. Did the problem get solved? If so, what did you find was the root cause?

Sofia Quintero January 22, 2021

@Trudy 

It was a pretty silly mistake. The components that filtered the two queries did not exist. And I don't know why this also affected the board that filtered a single project and without components. But it was as you said, the problem was in the filters.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

on the board spanning multiple projects, the user must have manage sprint permissions for all projects referenced in that one board. 

Hello @Jack Brickey , that´s the problem, he already has manage sprint permisions in all involved projects on board

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

Thanks for clearing that up for me Sofia. And does this individual have all the other typical issue permissions that might be involved in managing the board, e.g. close issues, transition issues, schedule issues? Granted not all permissions are required to manage sprints but sometimes there are underlying rules that are associated w/ workflows or automation that could be causing a conflict. If nothing is obvious what I would do is to perform a bit of sleuth work. For example you might have the user create test boards in each individual project, create test issues in each project, add them to sprints, move them thru the sprint and finally close the sprint. I suspect you will hit one project that reveals the smoking gun. Of course I would go thru the the inspection of all permissions in all projects first. Other questions, is this a new issues or was it working before? are there other users that can closed a sprint?

Thanks for the answer @Jack Brickey . Yes it does, the user has all the other typical issue permissions that might be involved in managing the board. Yes it seems to be a new problem, and there aren´t other users  with the same problem. And also the user is having the problem only in one project. He can manage sprint on others.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

so if it is only one project they have an issue with then there sure seems to be a permissions issue. it could be a bug but I really don't expect that to be the cause here. Maybe some Issue Security conflict? Are you using Issue Security in that project, just a last minute obscure thought. If it was working before I suspect someone has changed something.

i've just checked, and there´s no security scheme for this project. Just for be sure, I created the same scenario in test environment but there was no problem.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events