Use only Jira server, not jira core

charles.wilson3 October 27, 2017

We have purchased and installed JIRA Server after having a trial version of JIRA core installed. The license for JIRA core has now expired and I am unable to  remove JIRA core, and seemingly required to purchase a jira core license to bea bale to use JIRA at all. As I have a license for JIRA server which I believe includes JIRA core How am I to proceed as the server is currently in a production state.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2017

Hi,

A little background on the Jira terms here as I think these often cause confusion.  Back in Jira 6 and before for Server deployments, there was Jira and then the Jira Agile plugin.   Starting with Jira 7 there was a rebranding that happened, where Jira Agile became Jira Software, and in turn the base Jira became Jira Core.

All installations of Jira 7 have Jira Core installed.  You won't be able to remove Jira Core.  It's actually required to use Jira, Jira Software, and/or Jira Service Desk.  You don't have to license Jira Core though in all situations. For example, if you have applied a Jira Software or a Jira Service Desk license to the instance, that will suffice to give you that products features and still access Jira Core.   But if you do not have a Jira Software or Jira Service Desk license applied, then you would need to apply a Jira Core license to the system to be able to use it.  

Note: When trial licenses expire, functionality usually breaks in Jira.  But when an applied commercial or starter licenses expire, Jira typically should not break, but instead you are just not able to update to the latest versions.

But the concern now is to understand which licenses are currently applied.   I'd recommend going into your https://my.atlassian.com  This page will list the licenses on your account.  I'd recommend looking closely to understand if your license is for Jira Core or Jira Software, as this will determine where you can apply each respective license key.   That page will indicate specifically which product your license if for.

If you have at least a Jira Software license applied that is not an expired trial/eval license, then you can just delete the expired Jira core license here by clicking the trash icon next to the license key itself.  That is one way to get rid of an expired eval license from that Jira installation if you don't happen to have another valid license key to replace it.  

Please let me know if you have any follow up concerns.

Regards,
Andy

Suggest an answer