Upgreade to 8.21.0 problem

Paweł Popławski January 10, 2022

I did upgreade and I have problem, I do not know how to fix it ?:

Database: JIRA couldn't connect to your database

JIRA failed to establish a connection to your database.
This could be because:

• Your database isn't running
  • The configuration of your dbconfig.xml file is incorrect (user, password, or database URL etc.)
  • There is a network issue between JIRA and your database (e.g. firewall, database doesn't allow remote access etc.)

There are several other solutions you can try, review our documentation and see what works for you

2 answers

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

Hi @Paweł Popławski ,

Easiest way to fix this is to look at your backup dbconfig.xml and copy that back to your directory.

In the current config you have it set up with the H2 database, is this intended or are you using PostgreSQL or MSSQL or... ?

Paweł Popławski January 11, 2022

I have no Idea. I do not know. Someone else installed it.

1 vote
Daniel January 10, 2022

Ola @Paweł Popławski ,

Could you send me log folder from <installation path>/logs & <application data path>/log also dbconfig.xml. 

send via https://www.file.io/

let me check for you 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jira-database-config>
<name>defaultDS</name>
<delegator-name>default</delegator-name>
<database-type>h2</database-type>
<schema-name>PUBLIC</schema-name>
<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:h2:file:C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\Jira/database/h2db</url>
<driver-class>org.h2.Driver</driver-class>
<username>sa</username>
<password></password>
<pool-min-size>20</pool-min-size>
<pool-max-size>20</pool-max-size>
<pool-max-wait>30000</pool-max-wait>
<min-evictable-idle-time-millis>4000</min-evictable-idle-time-millis>
<time-between-eviction-runs-millis>5000</time-between-eviction-runs-millis>
<pool-max-idle>20</pool-max-idle>
<pool-remove-abandoned>true</pool-remove-abandoned>
<pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>300</pool-remove-abandoned-timeout>
</jdbc-datasource>
</jira-database-config>

For me it looks like default config. But it is also like magic for me :|.

Daniel January 11, 2022

Hmm okay, but i'm not sure only dbconfig.xml. Could you @Paweł Popławski  share more log files as we said before. Because we want to see which one something error we could tackle ?

Where is it ?

Daniel January 11, 2022

windows OS G:\atlassian\jira\log and G:\atlassian\application-data\jira\logs. compress 1 folder log and 1 folder logs into zip file and send to me. 

if you're use linux 

/opt/atlassian/jira/log and /var/atlassian/jira/logs. compress into zip file and send to me. 

it depends where you installed jira path @Paweł Popławski 

Is there no sensitive data saved of my system ?

Daniel January 11, 2022

May you @Paweł Popławski repeat again to send that file because temporary file.io has been deleted? 

it's ok, it's safe DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20220112065321.png

OK. One more time:

https://file.io/BShq2f2QkLZm

Daniel January 11, 2022

Thanks @Paweł Popławski , let's take a look in your logs says ;

11-Jan-2022 08:15:42.402 WARNING [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesJdbc The web application [ROOT] registered the JDBC driver [org.h2.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

11-Jan-2022 08:15:42.465 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [ROOT] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [webwork.action.ActionContext$1] (value [webwork.action.ActionContext$1@167a1999]) and a value of type [webwork.action.ActionContext] (value [webwork.action.ActionContext@26225e03]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

Looks like your DB is not config correctly, 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Error-in-confluence-crash-and-problem-to-start/qaq-p/1168626

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/connections-could-not-be-acquired-from-the-underlying-database-104825087.html

Is this Jira production or development ? because we cannot recommend the user use the H2 database. You should move into another database like Oracle, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server.  

How can I go to old version from backup ?

Daniel January 12, 2022

This article may help you @Paweł Popławski  https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/rolling-back-a-jira-application-upgrade-938846960.html

In my personal experience, I will replace my snapshot Jira virtual server backup like a bread sandwich. it's pretty simple 

Paweł Popławski January 12, 2022

Bread and sandwich is not working:

We couldn't start the following plugins:

• Jira Projects Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin)
  • Atlassian OAuth Consumer Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.consumer)
  • Atlassian Navigation Links Plugin (com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-nav-links-plugin)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - OAuth Service Provider SPI (com.atlassian.jira.oauth.serviceprovider)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Applinks - Plugin - Core (com.atlassian.applinks.applinks-plugin)
  • Atlassian OAuth Service Provider Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Global Issue Navigator (com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-nav-plugin)
  • Atlassian Pretty URLs Plugin (com.atlassian.prettyurls.atlassian-pretty-urls-plugin)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)
  • Atlassian REST - Module Types (com.atlassian.plugins.rest.atlassian-rest-module)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)
  • atlassian-servlet-plugin (com.atlassian.web.atlassian-servlet-plugin)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Look And Feel Logo Upload Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.lookandfeel)
  • Gadget Spec Publisher Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - OAuth Consumer SPI (com.atlassian.jira.oauth.consumer)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - SAL Plugin (com.atlassian.sal.jira)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Static Assets (CDN) Plugin (com.atlassian.plugins.static-assets-url)
Paweł Popławski January 27, 2022

I would like to summarize all that I have problem.

1. I can not upgreade Jira 8.7.1 to Jira 8.21.0.

2. I can not do that because of H2 database.

3. There is no way to do that or there is ?

Best regards Paweł.

Suggest an answer