Upgrading jira manually

Karim Belhadj April 22, 2019
Hello team
Today I try to update my jira 7 to 8.1 so , I download jira software archive , also I changed the jira. Application proprieties ti point to my new home directory , all works fine , but at the end I noticed that jira core was upgraded to version 8.1 , but jira software still with version 7,13 , and a message appear that jira software 7,13 it’s not compatible with jira core 8.1 and when I download the jira software obr and try to install it I can not . So I do not understand zhar happened and if I did some thing wrong ?

I need your help

Regards

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

With a manual upgrade, all you've installed is Jira Core (the platform).  You don't need to download or install an obr though, you should be able to upgrade Software from "Admin -> manage applications"

Karim Belhadj April 23, 2019

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  okay , but why I can not update my Jira software from manage application ? I click to update and I can’t also, when I upload the application it doesn’t work .

The logs :

2019-04-22 12:13:56,578 localhost-startStop-2 INFO [c.a.jira.startup.DefaultJiraLauncher] Stopping launchers
2019-04-22 12:13:56,591 localhost-startStop-2 ERROR [o.a.c.c.C.[Catalina].[localhost].[/]] Exception lors de l'envoi de l'évènement contexte détruit (context destroyed) à l'instance de classe d'écoute [com.atlassian.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener]
java.lang.NullPointerException

regerds 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

That's an error you usually see during shut-down of the Tomcat.

What errors are you getting when you click "update" in the application manager?

Karim Belhadj April 29, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

this is the log ;

2019-04-29 11:26:46,141 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO anonymous 686x132x1 15g89vv 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupImport.jspa [c.a.j.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Running JIRA Data Import...
2019-04-29 11:26:46,199 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO anonymous 686x132x1 15g89vv 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupImport.jspa [c.a.j.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Importing XML data...
2019-04-29 11:26:46,199 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO anonymous 686x132x1 15g89vv 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupImport.jspa [c.a.j.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Importing data is 2% complete...
2019-04-29 11:26:46,200 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 ERROR anonymous 686x132x1 15g89vv 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupImport.jspa [c.a.j.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Error parsing export file: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.security.xml.RestrictedXMLReader.parse(RestrictedXMLReader.java:103)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService.parseXmlAndValidateBackupData(DefaultDataImportService.java:390)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService.doImport(DefaultDataImportService.java:290)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.DataImportAsyncCommand.unsafeCall(DataImportAsyncCommand.java:82)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.DataImportAsyncCommand.call(DataImportAsyncCommand.java:64)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.DataImportAsyncCommand.call(DataImportAsyncCommand.java:30)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.ImportTaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(ImportTaskManagerImpl.java:157)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.ImportTaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(ImportTaskManagerImpl.java:133)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

regards

Suggest an answer