Upgrading Jira Software from to 6.4 to 8.14.x on RHEL 7.6 platform?

JH January 27, 2021

Did anyone ran into any issue or have any experience by upgrading Jira SW (Server) from to 6.4 to 8.14.x on RHEL 7.6 platform? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

Yes, loads.

Mostly app related, and all found during the test runs.  You absolutely must go through at least two steps of upgrade - 6.4 -> 7.0 -> target, and I suspect your test runs will tell you that 6.4 -> 7.0 -> 7.13 -> 8.5 -> 8.14 is the least problem-prone route. 

JH January 27, 2021

Thanks Nic! BTW, how do you identify the corresponding Bitbucket/Confluence versions that go along with Jira 7/7.13/8.5...?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

I don't, not any more.

It used to matter when we had Jira 4 and lower versions of 5, but even then, having a wide gap in the release dates didn't do too much harm - systems would talk to each other, but with one recent release and one ancient one, you'd just see a reduced function set, not a total failure.

Nowadays, I don't think you'll even notice much if you mixed Jira 7.0 to 8.latest with Bitbucket 6.0 to 7.latest and Confluence 6.0 to 7.latest.

JH February 3, 2021

Nic, one more question.  Does Java 11 support latest version of Atlasian 8.14x?

Suggest an answer