Upgrading Jira License for More Users

Premiere Creative July 8, 2021

Our current Jira license only allows for 10 users max. We've been going back and forth with Support in an attempt to discover the best course of action. It seems that we'll need to upgrade our license for $3,500.

Is there any way to overcome this limitation? Ideally, I would like to approximately 5 new users. 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

Hi, thanks for creating this community question.

Is Atlassian willing to sell you a new Jira server license? Because from what I remember upgrading from a starter license (10 users) is not possible anymore since 2 FEB 2021.
And from 2 FEB 2022 upgrading the other tiers will not be possible either.

Are you aware server products are going to be fully discontinued on 2 FEB 2024? That means, no user tier upgrades, no support, no security fixes, ...
Perhaps it is more interesting for you to migrate to a Cloud instance. It will be cheaper than buying that$3500 license. See pricing.

To answser your question: no you can't work around the user limitation of your license.

Thank you.  You are correct about the 2 FEB 2021

This is where we get confused
We have JIRA was successfully upgraded to version 7.9.1 on 30/Apr/18.  We host jira on our own server but we were told we do not have jira we have something else?

SourceTree: Free License 
Time Reports for Jira Core (server) 10 Users: Commercial License 
Jira Software (Server) 10 Users: Starter License 
?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2021

Jira can be: Jira Software, Jira Service Management or Jira Core.

You have Jira Software so you definitely have Jira. I'm not sure what you mean with "we were told we do not have jira".

Did you get in touch with Atlassian Support about this recently? I would expect them to tell you the 10 users licenses can not be upgraded to higher tiers anymore.
But of course they should now better than I do as I do not work for Atlassian :-)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2021

Hi @Premiere Creative , 

Jira Software for 15 users costs 1050$. You can see this here : https://www.atlassian.com/software/pricing-calculator

Not sure why you're billed 3500$, but you should be able to just add your Bank Card to your site on admin.atlassian.com and then add more users.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Thank you

If we decided to go from our own self hosted server to the cloud https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing?tab=cloud  who would move all of our history, files, etc to the cloud so we do not lose anything?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2021

Migrating to Cloud is something you'll have to do yourself or by involving an Atlassian Partner Company.

Basically you have 2 options:

1. Using the migration assistant app. This is an app you can install in your Jira server instance (in some versions it is preinstalled)
  2. Perform an XML export import

Option 1 is better when you do not use Jira Service Management but there are other reasons to chose one or the other: Compare cloud migration methods 

Here is the page linking to a lot of doucmentation about Cloud migrations: Introducing the Atlassian Migration Program

As you are on a small instance with 10 users and 1 licensed app it shouldn't be too complex. Apps are often the main complexity in server to cloud migrations in my experience.

Like Daniel Eads likes this

Thank you.  I need a freelancer partner

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2021

I don't know what country you're from but I'm sure you'll find someone by contacting a company in the partner directory: https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/

Any company/ freelancer with at least 1 certified person are listed on that page.

Suggest an answer