Upgrading JIRA

Bill Beard December 2, 2022

I am preparing to upgrade JIRA from our current Production version (8.8.1), to either 9.0 or 9.4.  We have not migrated to the cloud as of yet, and this will be my first JIRA upgrade.  Is there documentation specifically written to be "upgrade-centric" not "new-installation" centric, and do I have the ability to upgrade JIRA from 8.8 to 9.4, or are there interim installation steps that must be taken?

Thanks,

Bill Beard Jr.

Engineering Services Manager

Agilent Technoloigies, Inc.

william.beard@agilent.com

1 answer

3 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Hi @Bill Beard !

Here's the Jira upgrade documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-applications-938846936.html

You should be able to directly upgrade to 9.0 or 9.4 without going through intermediate upgrades. Note what database and JRE you're on (but this is in the documentation).

Good luck!

Bill Beard December 2, 2022

Thank you so much Robert!  Before we migrate to the cloud, I thought it would be the best logical step to upgrade to the latest on-premise version, then migrate to the cloud.

Thanks Again,

Bill Beard Jr.

Like Matt Doar likes this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

You're welcome. Although upgrading is not a required step for migration, (JCMA works with Jira versions as far back as 7.6), it really can't hurt.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events