I recently upgrade from Jira 7.11 to 8.0. Everything worked fine on 7.11, but now I am getting a startup issue. I checked many community questions targeting this upgrade but now and all of them stated there would be no problems for this upgrade path. I just ran the .exe installer and went for it, am I missing some components? MySQL .ini file changes? MySQL driver upgrades?
I have found the issue. It was my MySQL ver. that was causing the issue. I need to upgrade to 5.7.18+ for MySQL and it resolved the issue. Took a bit of researching but I found another user having an issue, but the post was actually on MySQL community pages instead of Jira's. I appreciate you reaching out!
I have found the issue, it took a bit to figure out, but it was due to my external DB. I was running 5.7.6 MySQL. The issue is in that version, all that needed to happen was into install any version above 5.7.18 + to fix my problem. It was due to UPDATE command in the DB.
---- I need to instal 5.7.29
---- Turned on JIRA 8.0.2 so that the DB was structured, created jira user and jira db and then imported backup from previous XML backup.
Is this a staging environment? If it's production make sure to have a backup before proceeding with the upgrade.
What error are you having during the startup? You are using mysql, so you will need to copy the database jar driver into JIRA_INSTALL/lib since I don't think the installer will carry that library for you.
In case this is a critical case you can either open a ticket to Atlassian or if you would like an expert contact refer to Atlassian Partner to assist/guide you with this upgrade issue, but keep us posted here in the community so we can help you out.
I appreciate your answer. I found the issue was due to the version of MySQL 5.7.6v, and I need to upgrade to 5.7.18v+. I did so and it fixed everything. The issue was actually due to MySQL bug/fix not JIRA. I have the Connector j, already installed and updated now. Everything is back up and running, this was a production environment.
What changes need to be made to the DB? I have made these changes to the my.ini file:
[mysqld] ... default-storage-engine=INNODB ...
Specify the value of
max_allowed_packet to be at least 256M:
[mysqld] ... max_allowed_packet=256M ...
Specify the value of
innodb_log_file_size to be at least 256M for MySQL 5.5 and below:
[mysqld] ... innodb_log_file_size=256M ...
NB: This should be set to at least 2G for MySQL 5.6 and above.
Ensure the sql_mode parameter does not specify NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO
// remove this if it exists sql_mode = NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO
Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...