Upgraded from Jira 7.11 to 8.0 - MySQL 5.7 - Startup Issue now...HELP

Alexander Badich July 9, 2020

Good Morning,

I recently upgrade from Jira 7.11 to 8.0.   Everything worked fine on 7.11, but now I am getting a startup issue.   I checked many community questions targeting this upgrade but now and all of them stated there would be no problems for this upgrade path.  I just ran the .exe installer and went for it, am I missing some components?  MySQL .ini file changes?   MySQL driver upgrades? 

Please help!

Thank you!

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

Hi,

can you share content of your application and catalina logs? If there are any errors.

Alexander Badich July 15, 2020

Petr,

I have found the issue.   It was my MySQL ver. that was causing the issue.  I need to upgrade to 5.7.18+ for MySQL and it resolved the issue.   Took a bit of researching but I found another user having an issue, but the post was actually on MySQL community pages instead of Jira's.  I appreciate you reaching out!

Thank you!

0 votes
Answer accepted

Community!

I have found the issue, it took a bit to figure out, but it was due to my external DB.   I was running 5.7.6 MySQL.  The issue is in that version, all that needed to happen was into install any version above 5.7.18 + to fix my problem.   It was due to UPDATE command in the DB. 

---- I need to instal 5.7.29

---- Turned on JIRA 8.0.2 so that the DB was structured, created jira user and jira db and then imported backup from previous XML backup.

Thank you!

Gerasimos Kardaras August 18, 2022

@Alexander Badichon linux OS you just update from one version to the new?

0 votes
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2020

Is this a staging environment?  If it's production make sure to have a backup before proceeding with the upgrade.

What error are you having during the startup? You are using mysql, so you will need to copy the database jar driver into JIRA_INSTALL/lib  since I don't think the installer will carry that library for you.

In case this is a critical case you can either open a ticket to Atlassian or if you would like an expert contact refer to Atlassian Partner to assist/guide you with this upgrade issue, but keep us posted here in the community so we can help you out.

I appreciate your answer.   I found the issue was due to the version of MySQL 5.7.6v, and I need to upgrade to 5.7.18v+.  I did so and it fixed everything.   The issue was actually due to MySQL bug/fix not JIRA.   I have the Connector j, already installed and updated now.   Everything is back up and running, this was a production environment. 

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2020

Great finding!! Thanks for sharing it with us

0 votes

There are a few other lines that I added because of other error in an earlier upgrade. These were the other lines added:

transaction-isolation=READ-COMMITTED

binlog_format=row

0 votes
Akhtaruzzaman SM July 9, 2020

No help. Normally it should run but you have to make sure any changes in JIRA DB. AKTAR

What changes need to be made to the DB?   I have made these changes to the my.ini file:

• [mysqld]
    default-storage-engine=INNODB
  • Specify the value of max_allowed_packet to be at least 256M:

[mysqld]
    max_allowed_packet=256M
  • Specify the value of innodb_log_file_size to be at least 256M for MySQL 5.5 and below:

[mysqld]
    innodb_log_file_size=256M

NB: This should be set to at least 2G for MySQL 5.6 and above.

• Ensure the sql_mode parameter does not specify NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO

// remove this if it exists
    sql_mode = NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events