Upgrade to 8.1.0 leaves all user installed apps incompatible

Ben Damon April 18, 2019

I upgraded our Jira Software install from 7.12.3 to 8.1.0 . After the upgrade all user installed apps (7 of them) are marked as incompatible. We had performed this upgrade in test without issue but the test box has no user apps installed. I did check a couple of the apps and they seemed to work and were also noted as being compatible but I did not have time to research or troubleshoot. I had to revert the vm back due to time constraints. This does not seem like an issue with the apps but more like a system problem. Disabling and re enabling them did nothing I rebooted the server as well. Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2019

Hi @Ben Damon,

I'd recommend that before your next upgrade use this link in the bottom of the manage apps page.

UpdateCheck.JPG

It will allow you to see if the author of the add-on as made an updated version that is compatible with the version you plan to upgrade to.  I'm pretty sure what you are running into is that you have upgraded to a version ahead of the author having actually released an 8.1.0 compatible version.

Hope that helps.

-James

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2019

@Ben Damon Mostly, the add-ons or apps are shown as "incompatible" by UPM if their installed versions are not compatible with the upgraded version of the app (which is 8.1.0 for your case). You need to check for each add-on on Marketplace if they have a compatible version for 8.0.1 and upgrade to that version, to make the add-ons work correctly. Making an add-on as compatible with newer versions of JIRA is not a big configuration change for Vendors, so most of the applications listed as incompatible might still work fine functionally, but it is always better and recommended to upgrade them to compatible versions.

Hope it helps !

Ben Damon April 18, 2019

@Taranjeet Singh  Shouldn't UPM notify me of new updates so I can keep current? The current 7.12.3 version showed no add-on updates available so I assumed I was up to date. Do I have to manually upload and install add-on updates using a different method prior to or after the upgrade? Something seems amiss to what I am used to with this process. Even after the upgrade I had no option to upgrade add-ons

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2019

@Ben Damon Yes, UPM does that if your JIRA instance is able to connect to Marketplace successfully. Normally, the add-ons compatibility is assessed during upgrade planning and post-upgrade we install/upgrade the add-ons to compatible versions. You can install compatible versions, either via UPM, by clicking on Update button or by uploading compatible add-on files manually via UPM.

But if you are noticing no option to Update, may be the reason for incompatibility might be different. I can only tell you more on this if I have a screenshot of Manage Add-ons page post-upgrade.

Ben Damon April 18, 2019

@Taranjeet Singh I had no update option post upgrade. In fact I have no upgrade option now on 7.12.3. Perhaps I have a UPM issue now which is why I ran into the post upgrade incompatibility issue. Maybe I should focus on why I have no upgrade option either pre or post. UPM seems up to be up to date at version 3.0.2 but some of my add-ons are not

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2019

Let me know if you have any other questions or issues with which you need help with, while you look into your UPM issue.

Suggest an answer