Upgrade from JIRA 4.3.4 with Greenhopper 5.6.8 to JIRA 6.4.7 with JIRA Agile 6.7

Mike K July 14, 2015

What is the proper steps of upgrading JIRA with JIRA Agile for the version above?  I've looked and have tried different roadways ways, but it's getting a bit confusing.  Is the link below that way to go about it?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/remotepageview?pageId=391086929#JIRAAgile6.3UpgradeNotes-UpgradingfromGreenHopper5.7.xorearlier

2 answers

0 votes
Mike K July 20, 2015

William,

Thanks for the feedback!  Through a bunch of attempts, I found the combinations of versions to use that seem like it worked.  Starting with JIRA 4.3.4 (GH 5.6.8) > 4.4.5 (GH 5.8.7) > 6.1.7 (GH 6.6.80) > 6.4.7 (GH 6.6.80).

I had issues where the planning board in GH did not show up, but when I did the version in bold, it fixed the problem.  This was a pain as it took almost a week just figure out the versions that worked.

-Mike

AEM TiSup July 21, 2015

Have you done direct upgrade or separate full installs in a differents folder each time ?

Mike K July 21, 2015

We've done a direct upgrade and it seems like it worked, but according to Atlassian, go through the suggested incremental path. I assume that there are significant changes and we're not aware of every changes so we're not taking a chance doing a direct upgrade.

0 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2015

bummer gin, Mike...damn .45g sensitivity keyboard keys make it too damn easy to fat finger something that throws away an attempted response.

The biggest problem you'll have isn't with JIRA Agile but rather JIRA - upgrading JIRA over that many versions will be about a 3 hop process - I think, I haven't had to do this for a client in quite a while and memory gets fickle...

But anyway start with the 4.4 release notes and upgrade guide and walk up to the 6.4 release notes/guide. You'll have to come back with more specifics as to whether this will work, or if this plan bouncing on these two different versions will work, etc....It'll be a little while until I have to read all that again.

Links:

-wc

Suggest an answer