Upgrade JIRA from 3.3.1 to latest version, but not sure the different with new version

Sam Chong April 27, 2021

I receive a license renewal from sales team and it state that there have 3 license renewal which is Bitbucket (Server) 10 Users: Starter License Renewal , Jira Software (Server) 10 Users: Starter License Renewal and Confluence (Server) 10 Users: Starter License Renewal , what are these 3 server do for the service? As I am still using JIRA 3.3.1 so I am not sure how it function and is it require to order all 3 server license for the upgrade. Also (10 users) which mean I can only create 10 user account for the service?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

Hi @Sam Chong ,

Jira can be upgraded independently of Confluence and Bitbucket. Confluence is a documentation/wiki system - information about Confluence is available as a guide here. Bitbucket Server is a git-based code repository system, more information about Bitbucket Server is available here.

It's likely that the applications are linked together - this is helpful for end users so they can work across code, issue tracking, and documentation easily. If you are only looking to upgrade Jira, it is possible to do so without upgrading Bitbucket Server and Confluence. I would however suggest that you consider upgrading all 3 applications if your license allows, since security updates have been released for all these products that you'll want to take advantage of.

Since you have the 10 user license across all three products, you could consider a migration to the Cloud Free tier of Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket:

The free tier for Jira and Confluence Cloud provides you with 10 users. The upgrades/backend administration are handled by Atlassian, and the software is always up to date in Cloud. If you need to expand beyond 10 users, you can do so easily in Cloud using our per-user licensing. In Server, you're no longer able to expand beyond 10 users without either migrating to Cloud, or purchasing a Data Center license.

I hope that's helped clarify things, and happy to answer additional questions around upgrading or migrating to Cloud! 

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

@Sam Chong 

You need first to upgrade Jira as you are using an outdated version then install Confluence and BitBucket so that you can use all of them.

I am not sure about your question. What do you need help with at the moment?

Best,

Fadoua

Sam Chong April 29, 2021

I am not sure the function of BitBucket and Confluence server as we are using old version, just want to clarify is it necessary to install for JIRA. Which version of JIRA i need to upgrade first? And also is that I can only create 10 user accounts for JIRA?

Sam Chong May 3, 2021

Will be great if get advice so that we can process the license renewal

Suggest an answer