Update jira v 7.1.9 to 7.5.0 version

Fedorov Fedor October 20, 2017

Hi,

I can update jira v 7.1.9 to jira v 7.5.0 ?

Or I must update to v 7.2.x, 7.3.x , 7.4.x and 7.5.0?

6 answers

0 votes
Fedorov Fedor November 3, 2017

Hi Gregory,

1) Yes, I added this line. Thanks.

2) I think what I can't convert the all data in my instance Jira.

Because

============================================

Instance health checks

Error

Collation

RESULT

The database collation 'utf8_general_ci' and table collation 'utf8_general_ci' are not supported by JIRA.

=============================================

But in System Info -

System EncodingUTF-8

Database collation utf8_bin

What encoding for MySQL DB you recommend for the new versions of Jira 7.5.x?

0 votes
Fedorov Fedor October 31, 2017

Hi Gregory,

1) I can't found string line <pool-test-on-borrow>false</pool-test-on-borrow> in the  dbconfig.xml.

Only line <pool-test-while-idle>true</pool-test-while-idle>

2) I try run all sql scripts with youre note

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/how-to-fix-the-collation-and-character-set-of-a-mysql-database-744326173.html?_ga=2.210070162.648572772.1509348971-894442380.1507283826&_gac=1.52636700.1508505798.EAIaIQobChMIoY6s-aX_1gIVxKwYCh3ZFAV8EAAYASAAEgJdPfD_BwE

And in propertys System Info -

System EncodingUTF-8

Database collation utf8_bin

But in the Instance health checks

Supported Platforms

Error

Collation

What does this check do?

Checks if the database and tables are configured using the required collation.

Result

The database collation 'utf8_general_ci' and table collation 'utf8_general_ci' are not supported by JIRA.

Don't understand why ?

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2017

Go ahead and add the line in to the dbconfig file.   I believe in a clean build instance that line is included, but on an upgrade instance it may not be or may not have been noticed until the Atlassian tools did a better job detecting config issues.

Collation determines how results are sorted and ordered. In newer versions of Atlassian applications, collation changes may become more strict.  This means, you may be able to get away with the collation notification currently, but in future updates Atlassian is likely expecting collation to be setup in a specific way to ensure consistent and expected results.

0 votes
Fedorov Fedor October 30, 2017

Yes, I replace parameter storage_engine on the default_storage_engine:

sessionVariables=default_storage_engine=InnoDB

But now the "pool-test-on-borrow" database configuration is not configured according to the recommended parameters.

And I have other error - Methods for sorting databases "utf8_general_ci" and tables "utf8_general_ci" are not supported by JIRA.

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2017

Correct, Add <pool-test-on-borrow>false</pool-test-on-borrow> line in the dbconfig.xml when instance with MySQL database is created.

did you fix the collation of the database?

0 votes
AFTER UPDATE to jira 7.5.0
Database: We've found a problem with your database connection URL

The connection URL in your dbconfig.xml file contains the storage_engine parameter, which has been deprecated. This should be replaced with the default_storage_engine parameter.
See our documentation for more information on changing your connection URL.

Database: Your database is using an unsupported collation

Your mysql database is currently using an unsupported collation: utf8_general_ci. You should change this to a supported collation:

• utf8_bin

Review our documentation for more information on supported collations.

THIS IS Critical message or I can ignore it and continue?

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2017

you want to convert your database to the correct format.  See documentation here

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2017

Also, yes - adjust the dbconfig xml as suggested.  Add default infront of storage_engine so it reads default_storage_engine.  

I Can't found file dbconfig.xml...This file locate in /opt/atlassian/jira or /var/atlassian/application-data/jira directory?

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2017

it's located at the root of your Jira Home directory.

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2017

As Brian said, yup - go for it.  Just watch the https connector - it got us, but it's well documented in the release notes.

Make sure you experiment with a staging copy of your production before you move your actual prod.  That will save you some heartburn.

The overall process, start to finish, can take you somewhere between 12-16 hours depending on how long full indexing takes you after you upgrade.

0 votes
Maurice
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2017

Hi!

You can update directly from 7.1.9 to 7.5.

You will want to review all of the release notes as well as upgrade notes for all versions that you will be skipping though. This way no changes surprise you.

Jira Release and Upgrade Notes

The main items to look for are the HTTPS connector change in 7.3 and the Microsoft SQL Server database driver change in 7.5.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Brian

Hi Brian

My Jira Software use MySQL DB.

Suggest an answer