Update all worklogs when change account

Wolff April 19, 2021

Hi all i have a question regarding Tempo Timesheets.

Use case:

Issue is logged to - Issue type - Incident - account billable.

Agents are working on it and log time - excl 1 h and 2 hr totale of 3 hours.

After this they found out that this should not be a - Issue type - Incident - but a - issue type - Internal Incident - account non-billable.

How am i able to change all worklogs already booked to this account billable and change it to account non-billable? 

In this example its 2 worklogs but in practical it could be 10+ or more.. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Coleman July 12, 2022

Hi @Wolff,

I had the same issue. In my case, the previously provided answer was the solution, but it didn't make sense to me when I read it the first time until I found the source of the problem for me and then read it again, so I'll elaborate on the other answer and hopefully it will make more sense.

In tempo config, you can create attribute values that apply to work logs to help you give details to work logs.

Here is the direct link to the settings involved. Don't forget to update it with your Jira site instead of the placeholder I've included:
https://Your_Jira_Site.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/ac/io.tempo.jira/tempo-app#!/configuration/worklog-attributes

Chances are yours, like mine, has a line that looks something like this:
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 4.19.53 PM.png

If there isn't a work attribute for account, all work logs will get this information from the account set on the ticket. To be clear, I do not mean to say if the value hasn't been set on the attribute, I mean to say that a Tempo admin has removed the option of setting the account at the worklog level.

Here's why this is useful:
Maybe two different people have work to log on the ticket, like a new programmer receiving some training on how. Maybe the programmer's time is billable as CapEx for the purpose of taxes so it goes to one account, while the trainer's time needs to be billed internally so it goes to another. Having a work log attribute that lets you set the account to each log entry on the task gives you flexibility that could even benefit the company come tax time, or maybe one person's work on the issue is included as part of a contract with the customer that's billed at a flat rate.

Here's the alternative:
If you delete the Tempo Account attribute from the list of attributes, there is no longer an option to set the account on each work log entry individually, and Tempo will pull the account from the value for the account field set on the issue in Jira instead.

You lose the flexibility of setting different accounts per work log, but you no longer have to edit individual work logs if you want to change the account for existing logged work on an issue.

Another point for consideration:
In our case, we're also using another plugin for invoices. That plugin, HelloClerk: Invoices, is seemingly incapable of reading the worklog attribute account setting and so it reports back the account at the issue level. So the best course of action for you might also depend on the other tools you're using in Jira.

Hope this helps!

Wolff July 13, 2022

@Stephen Coleman I now use the new function - BULK EDIT

So no need to have other function :D 

0 votes
Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2021

Hi @Wolff

Changing the Account that a worklog is connected to, depends if you have a work attribute of type "Account" configured in Tempo (https://help.tempo.io/cloud/en/tempo-timesheets/administrator-setup-guide/creating-account-work-attributes-for-linking-accounts-to-jira-issues.html)

When no work attribute is configured, all worklogs that are made on an issue are connected to the Account that is set on the issue (in the Tempo Account Custom field). When changing this Account, all worklogs made on the issue will be connected to the new Account that was set.

When using Account as work attribute, users can select a different Account when they log their time. This Account will then be connected to the worklog, independent if the Account set in the Account Custom field on the issue is changed. Changing the work attribute that is connected to a specific worklog requires a manual update of each worklog that has the wrong account set.
(https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/pages/1085046794/Tempo+Accounts+-+how+to+connect+worklogs+to+an+Account)

Best regards,
Susanne Götz
Tempo team 

Wolff April 22, 2021

Hello Susanne,

I have tried both of your scenario's ;

I created a Issue - Work Attribute - Account 

Put Account to CRM;

Then employees work logs; 

See below

2021-04-23_08-27-00.png

Then I found out that this issue is a Internal issue and all worklogs should be non-bill. 

So I changed the Account from CRM - to INTERNAL 

But all worklogs are still on CRM?

2021-04-23_08-32-15.png

2021-04-23_08-35-46.png

I just want to have all worklogs changed to non-bill.
In my example there are 2 worklogs - but on a project it could be 10+ 

Suggest an answer