Update Fields via CSV Import - Due date field

Valerie Capasso February 3, 2023

I need to bulk update the Due Date field for 1000+ issues. I followed the directions here and here .

I created a CSV file that contains the Issue Key, Summary, Issue Type and Due Date fields. I follow the steps in the External Import Wizard but after the import/update is finished, the Due Date field is populated with 1/15/2023 for most of the issues listed in my CSV. That is not the correct value for the field. See screenshots.

I can't figure out why its not properly updated the Due Date field with the data from the sheet.

Jira_duedates2.JPG.pngJira_duedates.JPGJira_duedates3.JPG

3 answers

2 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2023

@Valerie Capasso 

The date format in Jira by default is dd/mmm/yy h:mm. Try changing the format to dd/mm/yy and import it should import your csv file or import the value as dd/mmm/yy h:mm (eg: 15/Jul/23 01:22 )

I updated the date format to: mm/dd/yyyy to match the format from my file.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2023

Hi @Valerie Capasso

Can you share the formatting you are using for the date import?  is it M/dd/yyyy?

I updated the date format to: mm/dd/yyyy to match the format from my file.

I figured it out... it was b/c I did mm/dd/yyyy. When I updated to MM/dd/yyyy it imported the dates correctly.

Like # people like this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2023

@Valerie Capasso Glad you figured it out.  I got bit by that a few days ago.  For those following along at home, this is because Jira understands mm as minutes and MM as month, e.g., 

`dd.MM.yyyy HH:mm' 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 6, 2023

Hi @Valerie Capasso

I'm glad to hear that you got your issues resolved. Just for future reference, if these kinds of bulk imports are something you do more frequently, you might consider checking the Atlassian Marketplace for solutions that make this process easier.

Just as an example, my team and I work on an app - JXL for Jira - that allows viewing and inline-editing your issues much like you'd do in Excel or Google Sheets, including the ability to copy/paste values between Jira and other apps. This way, bulk editing thousands of issues may be as simple as two keyboard shortcuts:

paste-from-excel.gif

Of course, this would work for the due date, too.

As said above: This is just one example for a Marketplace app that could help with your task. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 month, and depending on the size of your size, it may be free forever. So if an app is an option for your, perhaps try a few and see which works best for you.

Best,

Hannes 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events