Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Unlicenced and anonymous users in Jira Software DC

Hello community!

Please help us with two questions about external access to a Jira Software DC instance.

1. Is it possible to add Users with restricted abilities to Jira Software Data Center, but without spending licenses on them?

Use-case: Invite participants from the customer's team to a designated area (project) with restricted permissions (read-only or read and add comments).

If I understand it correctly this is only possible in Jira Service Management. In Jira Software you can add restricted users, but they will be counted as licensed ones.

But I want to make sure my assumptions are correct.

Also, assuming there is no unlicensed users access, what are the best practices for such use-cases?

I think the easiest is to set up a Trello board and integrate it with the Jira project.

2. Is it possible to open specific project to an external anonymous access?

I.e. anyone with a link can open it and browse Issues in read-only mode.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Your understanding is correct.

There are five ways you can grant access to people here:

• Software and Core Licenced users: Can use the application (you can then do all sorts of controls with these users within the applications but the point here is that they)
  • Service Desk licenced users, or Agents:  Can do most stuff with Service Desks (Core and Software users have limited access to Service Desk projects, whatever you do with their permissions)
  • Service Desk Customers: Free, but can only use the Service Desk Portal and Requests stuff, no access to the issues behind it.  Called "unlicenced users" for the last few releases of Jira and Confluence
  • Anonymous: Free, but you don't know who they are, so you never want to give them any form of write access, and often, no access at all.

There is no good way to give free users access to the projects or service desks in that way.  The whole point of that access is that these people *are* users and hence should be licenced.

The anonymous access does answer your second question though - yes, let anonymous have "browse project" and they'll be able to see the issues.  Just don't let them comment or otherwise write - you put that out on the internet and you will be uncontrollably spammed.

Got it. Thank you for the quick response!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

⚡️NEW Group for Confluence Cloud Admins

Calling all Confluence Cloud Admins!  We created a new Community Group to support your unique needs as Confluence admins. This is a group where you can ask questions, access resou...

116 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you