Unknown fields set during transition. Field may not be on transition screen. Fields ignored -

afenn April 15, 2021

I've setup a Jira automation to assign the value of a user picker field to the current value of assignee when a PR is created and the issue is in-progress.

I've been getting this error for some time now.

"Unknown fields set during transition. Field may not be on transition screen. Fields ignored - Developer"

Originally the solution suggested here pointed me to an issue stating that due to the fact that the field was empty, it was not "seen" and therefore was not updated. 

I then updated all issues to a default value however, and I am still getting the same error in my jira automations.

Below is the current result of the "Where is my field" workflow despite the error in my jira automations.

Project and issue type scope

Field 'Developer' is in scope of the project 'XXX Product' and issue type 'Story'

Field configuration

The 'Developer' field is enabled by the 'Default Field Configuration' field configuration associated with this issue.

Field Screen

The field 'Developer' is present on the screen 'XX: Scrum Default Issue Screen' configured for this issue

Field value

Field 'Developer' has value for this issue

I've also double checked all the screens on the "ViewFieldScreens" page in Jira Admin, and the Developer field should be present on all of them. What's the cause of this issue and what can be done to ensure that the field is set on this transition screen ("from in progress to code-complete")?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Hi @afenn  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For a question like this, please consider posting an image of your rule and the audit log.  That can give the community context to offer ideas.  Thanks!

This is the second instance of this symptom I have seen posted today... Interesting...

If you have already checked the permissions, you may also check the workflow to see if there any rules trying to do something unexpected.

If that doesn't help, I suggest asking your site admin to submit a defect to Atlassian to take a look at your instance: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Best regards,

Bill

afenn April 15, 2021

Thanks Bill! Will do.image (3).pngimage (2).png

The developer field is set to copy the value from the assignee field

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Yup, that is what the other person observed: the action worked even though it threw the error in the log.  Definitely try to ping support.

Once you hear back, please post what you learn.  Thanks!

Guillaume De Smedt April 21, 2021

I'm having the same issue - trying to set a due date, but says that it's not on the transition screen.

Been through all the screens and fields and everything is set correctly.

Automation rules - JIRA - Google Chrome 2021-04-22 at 2.59.21 AM.png

@afenn have you managed to find a solution?

afenn April 22, 2021

@Guillaume De Smedt The issue appears to be with the "transition issue" action. I noticed that I was able to set this field on another automation rule.

Therefore, I think a workaround is to simply add a step after the transition step to update the field as opposed to trying to set it in the transition step.

Like # people like this
Guillaume De Smedt April 22, 2021

Oh, interesting - ok, will give that a try, thank you!

Yip - it worked! Thanks so much @afenn!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2021

Hi @afenn and @Guillaume De Smedt 

Have you tried setting the Due Date using JSON in the transition, under More Options?  For example here is one updating the target issue from the trigger issue:

{
"fields": {
"duedate": "{{triggerIssue.duedate}}"
}
}

Best regards,

Bill

Like Denise Barchus likes this

Hi Bill, I was contemplating it, however, meant spending time figuring out the right syntax :) - so took the easy route of simply creating another step.

The positive spin is that it's simpler to follow for other colleagues on my team to follow what's happening (2 actions in 1 step could be missed).

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
5 votes
Reto Gehring _Valiantys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2021

Hi everyone,

The set field on the transition action is actually to set a field on the transition screen. 

So in the case above  the proper thing to do as recommended is to set the field value with an additional action.

However if you wold have a field on the transition screen e.g. assignee, resolution etc. you could use the set field option in the transition action.

Hope that helps,

Reto

Thomas August 17, 2022

Brilliant Reto - thank you!

oliver_wihler September 6, 2022

Thank you this has worked for me too!!

Whitney Patterson October 19, 2022

Hi all. I am experiencing the same issue and cannot figure out how to solve it. Here is a screenshot of my rule setup and the errors:

automation issue.png

Resolution is not part of the transition for epics to In Progress status and there is no transition screen in the workflow so I don't even understand why it's trying to set Resolution or any other fields during the transition.

I do have the workflow configured to Clear the Resolution field value as a post function when transitioning from Done to In Progress status but I got the same automation error when I removed that setting.

I also tried adding an action to set the Resolution field to empty in the automation rule and still got the same automation error.

Any ideas? I'm going to reach out to support but hoping this is solvable with them. Thank you in advance!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2022

Hi @Whitney Patterson 

An extra variable for your use case is this appears to be a global/multi-project scope rule.  Have you examined the workflow and fields for all of the relevant projects?

And, are these both company-managed (CMP), team-managed (TMP), or one of each type of project?  If different are you going CMP -> TMP (parent) or TMP -> CMP (parent)?  That will be important as epics are handled differently for the two types.

Kind regards,
Bill

Whitney Patterson October 19, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy, thanks! Great questions.

• Yes, I examined the other projects but didn't find anything there either.
  • And, they are both company-managed projects.

I have this set as a global automation rule for "software" project type.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2022

If you have not already checked with Atlassian Support, one more thing to check is if there are multiple fields named Resolution: the system one and a custom field.

Kyrylo Taranenko October 24, 2022

Hi people,

I have a similar issue, but with the Labels field on the Conditions component. I try to set up an automation that would transition an issue from one status to another based on the applied label.

The action gets executed, but displays an error. I'm not sure if there is any workaround as it's already a separate step. Also, Labels is a default field of Jira so I don't know why it could be determined as "unknown". 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Screenshot_1.png

Sankalp Chugh June 29, 2023

Hi @Whitney Patterson ,

I was facing the same issue, but I figured if I set a transition screen (I used Transition: Comment Only), it doesn't give that error anymore.

Sankalp

0 votes
Arundas TC March 20, 2023

So in my case I noticed that I had previously added Assignee field in the "Choose fields to set..." option but didn't actually select any assignee. (It could be any other field in your case.)

That's because after the transition, I had other steps to set the Assignee based on some conditions. But I forgot to remove the Assignee field from within the Transition step itself.

So to fix the problem, all you have to do is to remove it by unchecking it from the "Choose fields to set..." menu, and save/publish the changes.

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 1.43.22 PM.png

Suggest an answer