Under "Actions", "Export Word", how do I open the Word document without saving?

Daniel Rivas June 18, 2021

In an Issue, when I click ". . ." in the top righthand corner to view "Actions", then select "Export Word", I am required to save the document before opening it. How do I change the settings to allow opening of Word documents without saving them first? Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

This is actually a browser issue, not a Jira issue.

Based on what I read in this existing (and ancient) feature request for Chrome, it's not supported. But the ticket suggests that IE and Firefox (circa 2010 anyway) did support this feature.

It also sounds like there used to be a Chrome extension that implemented this, but I don't see one in the store these days.

My suggestion: try a different browser. Not a satisfying workaround, I know. But if you have an extreme situation (e.g. unable to write a local file, size too large, etc) it may be a solution for the occasional situation.

[EDIT: added hyperlink above]

Thank you for your fast response! My other team members who use Chrome are not having this problem, so it may be due to my specific Chrome settings. I'll try using Firefox if necessary.

Best,

Daniel

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Now, if you are willing to do ONE download, then it seems that Chrome has something built-in to do exactly what you want -- for that one file type, in the future. After the download, look in the options at the bottom of the Chrome window, open the menu for the downloaded item, and note the second option:

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 4.13.36 PM.png

However, note that this still technically will download the file, and then automatically open it for you -- so it doesn't eliminate the download. But it saves you a step.

Like Daniel Rivas likes this

Thank you for this additional information!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events