Unable to upgrade to 8.20.1

Daniel November 3, 2021

I am trying to update my JIRA instance from 8.20.0 to 8.20.1 to resolve the security issue. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong. I am running Windows Server 2019.

For some reason, the installer did not detect an existing instance of JIRA installed so it defaulted to "express installation" option I can choose upgrade existing instance but it tried to look for the JIRA installation in C:\Program Files\Jira Software which does not exist.  I've had JIRA installed in C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Jira installed for as long as I can remember.

I can navigate to that folder and select it.  It backed up the installation directory and now it's stuck in uninstalling previous version and has been like this for 3 hours. I don't think it normally takes that long to perform the entire upgrade let alone just the uninstall piece

I can see the Atlassian Service get removed from my services manager

When I upgraded from JIRA 8.13.4 to 8.20.0, the installer auto detected the the installed instance and allowed me to upgrade to it with no issue.

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Chris April 4, 2022

Experiencing the same (not picking up existing install, then getting stuck when attempting to uninstall previous version) when trying to upgrade an existing Jira Software 8.20.1 to the current latest LTS of 8.20.7. Any ideas out there? Cheers 

0 votes
Darin Klein November 5, 2021

We are having the same problem, but in Linux. 

Suggest an answer