Unable to test the connection - PostgreSQL

Benny Lahmish January 28, 2018

Hi,

I have installed on my Ubuntu 16.04: 

PostgreSQL 9.5.10 (allow local connection, created database and tested on local that i can connect to it - everything is working fine).

I installed Jira

when i'm going to the configuration page of jira (first page after installation) and i want to test my connection to the server, i get the following error (without any more explanations): "

Unable to test the connection." i have tried to search in the log files of postgresql or jira but i didnt find any reason why this is not working. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2018

When Jira puts that error on screen, it will also write a similar message to the log, with more detail.  Could you check the application log for it?  jira-home/logs/atlassian-jira.log

I've tried to find something in that file but it's not show me something. 

I click on test connection and it's not changing nothing in the log file. 

Lenard Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2018

Weird if nothing changes in the log file. Could be that the log file is open while the error is happening.

Replicate the problem, and immediately tail the last 100 lines of the logs and attach any message that may look like the problem.

Normally, the errors logged related to this message would be very obvious. Try searching for keywords such as "error" or "database" to narrow down to the corresponding error message in the logs.

I did with tail -f nothing is changing. That why I came here... I tried everything I can think about. I just don't see why is that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2018

This is very odd, the error you get on screen should absolutely be replicated in the application log.

A long shot next, but could you do the same for <jira install>/log/catalina.out ?

Suggest an answer