Unable to find Business Value field in "Custom Fields"

Sriram Sridharan January 3, 2017

Hi, I'm new to Jira, so please go easy on me if I'm asking a really dumb question. 

I've created a Scrum Software Project, and I'm adding stories to my product backlog. I'm also estimating each item in the backlog by setting appropriate Story Points. 

In line with agile methodologies, I also want to be able to set Business Value points to each of my items. I read that there's a field called Business Value for an issue. 

But when I get to Custom Fields, I do not find that field there. Is this a field that comes out of the box with JIRA? Or should I add it on my own?

By the way, we have bought license for JIRA Software (Cloud), but i'm still not clear if that includes all the features of JIRA Agile. If yes, then I'm stuck with the above question. Otherwise, please help me on how to proceed?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2017

Generally, JIRA Agile or Software (depending on your JIRA Core version) will add Business Value by default, but depending on how your system has evolved, it may not be there.

As an admin, go to the list of custom fields and check it - you might find "is not configured for any project" which means it won't appear, or it's not there at all.  Change the context to "global" or a set of projects, or just add the field (it's a simple numeric field), and you should find it all works.

JIRA Software is not quite the same as JIRA Agile, but it evolved from it, and you can consider it a simple upgrade from Agile. You can use JIRA Agile up to JIRA 6.4, then you'll have to move to Software for JIRA 7+. 

Thanks for the quick reply. Though you have thrown some light, I still am confused. We have bought the license for JIRA Software on Cloud, which must mean it's the latest version (and should come with JIRA Agile out of the box). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And coming back to the business value field, I read in the documentation for JIRA Agile v6.7 (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-administrator-s-guide/jira-agile-jira-configuration) that the Business Value field gets added. Has this changed with the current version?

I'm asking this as I'm trying to set both Story Points and Business Value to an issue to estimate correctly and organize my sprints the best way possible. Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2017

No.

Cloud does not have JIRA Agile.  JIRA Software is an application that effectively replaces the add-on (Technically, it's not a replacement or upgrade, but it is easier to think of it as one).  Please forget JIRA Agile, it's irrelevant to you as you're on a version of JIRA where it no longer functions.  You've got JIRA Software, stick with that.

My understanding is that the Business Value will be added by JIRA Software, if it wasn't there when you decided to install the application.  But, depending on the history of your installations and configuration, it might not.

So, as I said before, check if it is there.  If it is, check the context is correct (and then put it on screens).  If it's not there, you can add it manually.

Thanks very much. I will add a custom field and proceed, but I would still like to know if there's any way in JIRA Cloud where I can see the history of my installations and configuration. I tried looking but wasn't able to find any.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2017

Try the audit log in the admin section - that logs a lot of changes.

Suggest an answer