Unable to drag & drop issues (prioritize) within backlog : Internal server error

Ineke Strobbe January 8, 2021

Within the backlog I cannot drag & drop issues. If I want to do this I receive an error: 

"Issue DUM-83 couldn't be moved. Internal server error" 

Capture.PNG

The task/issue goes back to its original position: ranked by number. 

7 answers

0 votes
Andreza Santos July 8, 2021

Hi guys,

I found a workaround for this problem. Since the "rank" is empty for new cards, the solution I found is to modify the board's filter query, replacing the RANK by another field.

Current: project = JA ORDER BY Rank ASC

New: project = JA ORDER BY PRIORITY ASC

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2021

Yes, that fixes it but to the price that ranking will be impossible, I strongly guess.
Have you checked LexoRank troubleshooting page if it is able to spot any problem by integrity check?

You can find it here:
https://YOURSITENAME.atlassian.net/secure/GHLexoRankManage.jspa?decorator=admin

Andreza Santos July 12, 2021

I did the integrity check, and that was the error I found:

Captura de Tela 2021-07-12 às 12.46.09.png

0 votes
Omar March 23, 2021

Seems like we're affected by this as well. Was working fine last week. Is there a solution/fix for this issue?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2021

It is hard to pinpoint a potential root cause from the outside but at least I can share there is a troubleshooing page including an integrity check in your instance - you could execute it.

https://YOURSITENAME.atlassian.net/secure/GHLexoRankManage.jspa?decorator=admin

In case you are not on a Free-plan in cloud you also could raise a request with Atlassian Support to let them double check.

Mo Berry July 12, 2021

replied to wrong thread ...

0 votes
Mo Berry March 2, 2021

This just popped up for me, new tickets are being created without a Rank. Was working fine yesterday and prior, just started happening today. Has anyone identified the cause or solution?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2021

Has this been resolved for you meanwhile? If not, below I posted a link to ranking troubleshooting page which you could use - also letting Atlassian support about it could be an alternative.

Mo Berry July 12, 2021

yes, thank you Daniel ... we identified the cause was due to a poorly performed import that essentially corrupted jira's db, required atlassian support to delete duplicate items. IIRC Lexo Rank was a tool that helped us identify that there were duplicates.

mjpvandenberg December 3, 2021

We seem to have the same problem, but we are on the Free plan. How can I get Atlassian support to check our database?

0 votes
Aj.J.Long February 10, 2021

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm running into the same issue

Ineke Strobbe February 11, 2021

No, not yet. 

Any ideas or suggestions are still welcome...

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2021

@Aj.J.Longare you by any chance on a different plan than the "Free" one and could let Atlassian know about this per a support request?

It seems the problem is persisting for Ineke but as her team is on a Free plan she cannot open a request with Atlassian.

Please do let me know.
From looking at the history of it I am not convinced we will get it sorted out by Community help only.

Aj.J.Long February 11, 2021

@Ineke Strobbe @Daniel Ebers I did a little digging and the issue seemed to be related to the "Rank" issue field. For some reason, several of the issues we created did not receive a rank when they were created and this prevented moving them in the backlog. We've updated the field for each issue and are now able to position them within the backlog. I'm still not sure why they didn't receive a rank initially.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2021

@Aj.J.LongVery good finding! I can imagine that there is a relationship to the trouble you are facing because the field is tightly related to ranking.

Just a question for a better understanding - did you update the rank field programmatically of some kind?
In Issue Navigator I am able to locate the field (via columns) but I am wondering what you put in there.
The fomat is kind of "0|i000lr:" and so on ... did you sort manually across all values or did you update it like "123".

In the former - how did you figure out what to put in?

Thanks in advance!

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2021

Hi @Ineke Strobbe

is there the possibility to get a slightly bigger screenshot with some context around in order to see from and to where you are trying to move the cards?
Please also describe what you are trying to do with the card exactly so Community is better able to understand - especially if providing a screenshot is not suitable.

Apart from that the error message should be presented in a way it tells what is wrong. The generic info "internal server error" is less useful.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

the "internal server error" is a bit concerning however, be sure you have the necessary permissions - schedule issues, edit issues, etc

Hi @Jack Brickey 

All the issue permissions are assigned. 

Even the org & site admin user has the same problem: the internal server error.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2021

Hi Ineke,

I need to back up here a bit. So are you talking about moving issues w/in the Backlog screen where you can drag/drop to "Rank" them or are you talking about moving an issue w/in the board from column to column? The reason I'm asking is that your OP seems to convey w/in backlog (ranking) but your images are of the board config.

Ineke Strobbe January 11, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey 

I'm talking about moving issue within the backlog screen: selecting one or more issues and drog and drop them in order to rank the issues. 

An example:

I select issue DUM-14 and drag it to the top of the list. 

Capture.PNG

The moment that I release: I get the error message and the issue has been placed back in the list, ranked by the issue number. 

Capture.PNG

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

Hi @Ineke Strobbe ,

(I)

Check Board filter , ranking is enabled or not 

project = ABC ORDER BY Rank ASC

(II)

Go to Board.

Board settings 

Columns 

Tag the statuses in columns with workflow statuses.

eg:

image.png

Hi @KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH 

Thanks for your feedback. But both look ok I think. See images below.

(I) 

Capture.PNG

(II)

Capture.PNG

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

May i Know the what is the Workflow status of "DUM-83".

All issues have the workflow status 'Backlog' at this moment.

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

you using Classic Scrum or Kanban.

Please go to board

Board settings

Columns

Under TO-DO Column add Ready for  ... along with Backlog

and remove  the column "Ready ..."

image.png

We are using indeed Scrum board

We want to keep the seperate column "Ready for development", but in order to test what you suggested I followed your instructions. See the new situation:

But the problem and error message still exist when I try to prioritize the issues.

Capture.PNG

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

It's really weird one. Me also clueless. Sorry 

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

@Ineke Strobbe 

Can you try to create a new scrum board and try once with the default setup , don't customize columns and statuses , for the last time try once 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events