Unable to delete issue types which are not in use

Line Bengtson August 29, 2017

There are two issue types which are not in use. When I try to delete them, I receive a message that there are currently matching issues that must be changed to another issue type. Which there are not.

Try to rename the Issue Types. Get a message that Issue Type to update does not exist.

3 answers

0 votes
Line Bengtson September 1, 2017

Managed to solve it somehow. Thanks for responding.

Christian Ringgeler August 22, 2018

I've the same problem. Maybe you can provide some information how you solved the problem?

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2017

I've seen this on older JIRA installs.  When you checked in the database, did you find only one issue type record for each of the broken issue types?

It used to be possible to create two types with the same name in some circumstances, and then when you delete or rename one of them, it hit the wrong one.  This left issues hanging with an issue type that looks like it exists, but doesn't.

0 votes
Deleted user August 30, 2017

Hi Bengtson,

try running a background re-index. and then try to delete the two issue types.

Line Bengtson August 30, 2017

Hi, thx - I have tried that numerous of times.

Deleted user August 30, 2017

Then try cheking in DB if there is such issue type available.

Line Bengtson August 30, 2017

I have done that too. Seems like bug. Was hoping for some hints from somebody who has experienced the same.

Suggest an answer