Unable to create "Issue Type" Epic

Theresa Tankersley January 8, 2021

I am attempting to create an Epic (Issue Type), however, when I select "Epic", the "Epic Link" field below populates with the error message "An epic cannot have another epic linked to it".

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

Hi @Theresa Tankersley

I see what you mean. In this step this is in other words not an error but rather some kind of "User Experience" issue - the message appears because "Epic Link" is on the corresponding screen but it does not mean specifically there is an error this time.
Or to rephrase it: it is just normal and the message can be ignored this time (when creating an Epic).

Edit: Jack was faster and my browser did not refresh. What he said applies :)

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2021

The reason you are seeing this error is that you have Epic Link field in thee create screen you are using when creating an epic. Basically you are using a single create screen for all issue types. Then if you select Epic as the issuetype during the create the error will appear. It want cause any issue unless you attempt to enter info into that field and then submit the form. So in short you can ignore OR you can create a new screen that does not have the EpicLink field and associate with Epic issuetype. 

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Hi @Theresa Tankersley ,

In Jira We have an Hierarchy 

Epics > Story > Sub-task.

Eg: Parent > Children > Grand Children

Stories / Tasks / Bugs / other same level can be linked with epic using "Epic Link" field 

So you are unable to link one epic with another epic using "Epic Link".

Hoping it helps a bit.

Thanks...I understand the hierarchy however, I'm not trying to link one epic to another...I'm simply trying to create a new epic. I'm unsure why it thinks I am linking to something else.

Epic error 1.8.21.png

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

Hi ,

You can try to create a story by providing "Epic Link".  you will get an idea.

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

Hi @Theresa Tankersley ,

"Epic Link" is used only for stories and tasks.

Many stories are created under epic with "Epic Link". 

"Epic Link" will shows the already Created Epics @ Story Level.

image.pngA story can be added into Epic by using "Epic Link" , Epic Link shows already created Epic names

I will try this...thank you!

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/epic-name-vs-epic-link-779158632.html 

If it resolved your query. Please accept the answer ,it may be helpful to others in easily in community

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2021

@Theresa Tankersley  is it worked ?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events